Key-making palette?

Hey guys, I was trying to make some keys on my own (manually, mind you. No machines) and I cant seem to get the spaces right for the indentations. I heard some locksmiths use a sort of palette for this? How does that work? Is there an image I can print that will show me the right cut depth and width for most of the common keys out there?

Thanks

Reply to
antonioetayo

Lots and lots of practice. File a litle and then compare to a cut key. File some more.

Seriously, filing keys is a very valuable locksmith skill. I didn't think this when I got into the trade, but I've learned over the years that filing keys is important.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

This is in the form of depth and spacing numeric tables or code machine guides rather than illustrations. I found a set of these for common keys (eg Schlage, Kwikset etc but not auto) on the internet several years ago but can't remember where.

Reply to
peterwn

I have filed quite a few keys. You need a good set of needle files and a key micrometer-or caliper And you must practice it alot.

I can't comprehend any kind of a palette, but you may check on Ebay.I have seen alot of older space and depth manuals on there.

Reply to
goma865

Reply to
Batmanuel

Never tried the Pippin, though I've heard alot. I got a set from K&S that works good. I use a round to the depth, then angle the sides with a flat. Works well for me.

Reply to
goma865

#4 Pippin.. thats the thing.. you can angle the sides as you go..

--Shiva--

Reply to
me

If you're filing the key measure the depth and spacing with a dial caliper. Of course you still need to know the depth and spacing for the lock you are working on.

Reply to
Steve