Keying Larson Storm Door lock

The exterior locks on my house are Schlage. I recently installed a Larson storm door, and the instructions say the lock can be keyed to fit Kwikset or Schlage. However, my Schlage key will not fit into the Larson lock. I don't know anything about locksmithing, but I have heard that the key must fit into the lock for the lock to be keyed with that key. Is that true, or can it be keyed to fit? Thanks for your reply.

Reply to
chazzz1976

its a little odd that a Kwikset or Schlage will go into the same cylinder. not impossible, just odd... if your Schlage will not go into the cylinder? you may have a different Schlage keyway. Schlage makes many different keyways, c,e,f,g,h,j,k, to mention just a few.

you will need pinning equipment to re-pin it yourself. take the lock to your local locksmith. he should be able to help you.

g'luck

Reply to
Key

Send it to Steve Paris. He's the only one on this group who's good enough to remill the keyway. He's got us all beat. Key and I aren't good enough.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

Larson uses two different key cyl. You are correct that if your key does not fit it can not be keyed to it. If you contact them they can get you the correct cyl.

If you go back to the place you got it they may just swap cyl for you.

Reply to
news.midco.net

I think I will contact Larson first, then if they can't help me I'll see about having it remilled. Thank you all for your replies, I appreciate it.

Reply to
chazzz1976

milled ? g'luck :-) hope you get a hold of Larson...

g'day

Reply to
Key

as Key said, there are many keyways that Schlage have... restricted and non restricted. just take your key down to a locksmith and have him make the cylinder so suit your key..... I did one today for a customer and charged him 22 bucks... Australian $ that is.

steve.

Reply to
steve

been in the residential lock bus. for 25 years. don't quite get the "remilled" thing. It's the right cylinder or it isn't. Not trying to be rude, just don't want folks to be misled.

Reply to
justus2

Ha, Ha, good one Chris :-)) I regularly re-mill plugs to suit a large variety of key blanks. I use a Makita 18 volt re-milling hand held machine, with a 5mm re-milling bit, it does tend to lower the security of the lock though. Cheers mates. :-)

Reply to
Steve Paris