Locksmith training - UK

Hi I am quite interested in training as a Locksmith in Englad

Was wondering if anyone could give me some guidance on the best way to train up - apprenticeship type thing? I have seen courses advertised on the net but none of them seem 'official' so I guess you do not necessarily have to do them

Also, i spose it varies but is the work fairly regular or do you have long periods without work sometimes?

I might approach a local shop and see what happens!

Thanks

Reply to
Mo

your subject has been covered 2,910 times. google groups can be your friend check this link.

your best bet would be to talk to a local locksmith. "approach a local shop and see what happens!"

g'luck

Reply to
Key

thanks - did have a look on there before but nothing seems to be that relevant - and mostly aimed at the US market

Shame there seems to be no clearly defined path careerwise.

Reply to
Mo

Career path would be:

1a. Learn fundamental trade skills - woodwork and metalwork. 1b. Find out how locks work. Get samples from builders demolition yards etc and dismantle them. Learn to do things like dismantle and reassemble a lock cylinder, fitting key to a cylinder etc. 1c. Know your way round common makes of car so you can retrieve and replace lock cylinders. 1d. Know fundamental electronics, iring skills and software skills so you can work with alarms and access control.

  1. Seek an apprenticeship or low level position in a shop or organisations that employ locksmiths (although the latter now probably contract out the work). Learn from seeing and doing trade skills, marketing, customer relations and supervision skills.

  2. Aim for supervisory and management positions in due course.

3a. Marry someone with a rich daddy.

  1. Start your own business.

  1. Open extra branches, sell franchises, buy out other shops. At this stage learn to work on your business, not in it. Buy the premises housing your competitor's business, do not renew the lease, chuck them out and set up shop yourself.

  2. Sell the whole lot up (or sell the businesses but keep the real estate) and go fishing, or do the GAP year that your kid did, and wished you had done when you were a kid.
Reply to
peterwn