Major Safe info

We have inherited a Major Safe Model 1712 We have a couple of combinations that should be working, but we're unsure about the correct turning procedure. We've looked for the company with no luck.. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Dy Richards

Reply to
Dy Richards

Keyman55

Thank you !!!

Reply to
Dy Richards
4 L to ? 3 R to ? 2 L to ? 1 R open

If no workee, try R L R L

Still no workee, try...

3 L to ? 2 R to ? 1 L to open

Newnsie

Reply to
UPUHRS5437

For what it's worth: I recently ran into a safe where the owners had been dialing the reverse combination for decades. Some interesting mis-communication until I realized what was going on...

Reply to
Joe Kesselman (yclept Keshlam

After failing to open the safe for that long - why didn't they suspect that they were doing something wrong?

:-)

Reply to
Henry E Schaffer

actually, ther can be some OLD combination locks that will work either way.. I got into one once that would open on (example)

10-25-35 IF you dialed RIGHT first, but had a different set of numbers if you dialed LEFT first.. the first number remained the same, but the latter 2 were different.. a '2 different combination number' lock.. for new style tho, it does not work.

--Shiva--

Reply to
--Shiva--

Bingo. In this case it was that 6720MP I mentioned a while back. It can indeed be opened either way, but the two combinations are slightly different. As long as folks are consistant about their dialing habits when they set the combo and when they open the lock, everything works fine. If you just tell someone the combo, and forget to tell them it's backward, it doesn't work unless they're clueful enough to guess what might have happened.

Which is _almost_ a good reason for using the reverse combo; it may provides a tiny bit of additional security-through-obscurity. But if you're managing combinations properly that shouldn't make any real difference.