Most common safe?

Who makes the most commonly used office/commercial dial combination safes? Thanks in advance.

Reply to
jsmith

Ten years ago I could have given you an answer to that question, but now-a-days with all the electronics and imports out there today, there really isn't a single prevalent manufacturer.

Why do you ask?

Reply to
Bob DeWeese, CML

I know nothing about safes and even I can poke holes in your question... What do you want this common "office/commercial safe" to do ??? Are you looking to safeguard valuables from people attempting to steal them ??? Are you trying to keep documents and/or computer media safe from fire ???

You need to determine the purpose for having a safe in the first place, then select the best model you can afford that suits your choosen application...

Maybe if you narrow your question down to the application you need, and the type of safe you really want: (i.e. wall mounted, floor safe, free standing unit, etc) someone here who knows about safes will be able to give you an answer...

Evan, ~~formerly a maintenance man, now a college student

Reply to
Evan

He didn't ask for applicaton advice. Just a statistic of proportions of how many are in existance.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

Probably depends where you live. Sentry are common, here.

Depends where "here is", too.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

Reply to
jsmith

Reply to
jsmith

you cannot store 'computer disks' in a Sentry..

you SHOULD NOT store MONEY in a Sentry..

your 'brand you need' will TOTALLY depend on SEVERAL things..

--Shiva--

Reply to
--Shiva--

Do you want to safeguard documents from fire?

Is so, you want a fire safe.

Do you want to safeguard computer media from fire?

If so you want a media safe (not the same as just a fire safe).

Do you want to safeguard "negotiables" (cash, lottery tickets, coupons, gift certificates, etc) from burglars?

Is so, you want a burglary safe.

How much value, and serious a burglar?

B- rated, C-rated, TL15, TL30, H/S, X6

Want fire _and_ burglary protection?

Is so, you want a composite safe. (Not cheap)

Do you want a mechanical combination lock?

Less convenient and not (recommended) user changeable combination, but more reliable, lasts far longer, less prone to catastrophic failure (lock-out that requires drilling and destruction of the lock), and most often repairable if a problem develops.

Do you want an electronic combination lock?

More convenient, easily user changeable combination, optional audit trail, multi user, multi combinations, multi user levels (master, manager, user, etc.), almost idiot proof, but less reliable and more unforgiving than mechanical. When they won't open, (and it's not a battery or keypad issue), it's usually "drill and replace" time. ($$$$$)

What kind of safe to buy depends on what and how you want it to protect.

Here's a neat little link...

Bobby

Reply to
Bob DeWeese, CML

Reply to
jsmith

Yes, you can store comp disks in a Sentry. Works great, unless you have a fire.

Now, did you want to clarify, or did I do it for you?

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

Thanks, Bob; that's a useful summary.

... But a good fire chest melts more slowly. <smile/>

Reply to
Joe Kesselman

A Sentry isn't a safe; it's a fire chest. (At least, most models; there may be a few uncommon ones that do better?)

Reply to
Joe Kesselman

better reread.. Computer disks require LOW humidity.. and some safes closed, with no fire, are too high for their good. its a case of 'no guarantee' situation.

--Shiva--

Reply to
--Shiva--

Hm. My understanding -- which could be flawed -- is that as long as you

*DON'T* have a fire, the Sentry is probably fine.

I'm oversimplifying a bit, but:

The problem is that computer and photographic media are both much more sensitive to heat than paper is and, when heated, more sensitive to humidity -- a humid environment may help protect paper, but may ruin magnetic media.

The Sentry, like most non-media fire chests, achieves part of its protection by evaporative cooling of water trapped in the insulation matrix. This means that in a fire, it may turn into a steam bath. Also, even the best Sentries I've seen are rated class-350 -- reasonable for paper (whose flashpoint, as the novel points out, is Farenheit 451), but not for plastics. Again, not that this isn't unique to the Sentry; it's a common characteristic of containers designed to protect paper records.

Home users please note: This means that a Sentry or similar is not really adequate to protect the negatives from your 50 years of family snapshots. It's certainly better than nothing, but if that's what you're looking for you may want to consider getting a container that can really do the job, or renting a safe deposit box.

To protect media -- film, magnetic tape, computer disks, and I would assume CDs too -- you want a container which is rated for that application. Generally these are designed to hold much lower internal temperatures (a fire that brings the records chest's contents up to 350 degrees will bring the media chest only up to 150) and to maintain low internal humidity as well. Somewhat different design, thicker insulation... higher cost.

I don't know of a really good low-budget solution for getting media-level protection. There are adapter boxes ("media coolers") which can go inside a class-350 safe to provide a class-150 environment... they aren't horribly expensive, but they're a bit bulky and I haven't seen a cheap class-350 safe which was large enough to take one. Nor have I seen a real media chest aimed at the SOHO market which Sentry and its equivalents serve. There are non-"safe" fire chests -- usually in the form of file cabinets -- which are sometimes available with a media section and which may be cheaper than something styled as a safe, but they aren't exactly cheap either. My own pet kluge of a floor safe ebedded in the basement concrete, containing seriously waterproof containers (because it *WILL* flood; fire hoses turn basements into swimming pools very quickly), strikes me as dubious for this application since if the inner container leaks the media's probably gone again (though I think it might work reasonably well for CDRs).

The simplest solution for media which can be easily copied is off-site backup -- the afore-mentioned safe deposit box, or simply a relative's house on the assumption that both your houses won't burn down at the same time. Of course if you live in a storm zone...

Reply to
Joe Kesselman

agree, but I wanted the point that its not a BLANKET OK..

there can be some that are 'damp' inside.. and those are the problem childs.. there are others that are totally sealed inside with plastic liner, and they are , humidity wise, safer..till a fire.

but for a fire the requirements are no more than 125 degree and a VERY low humidity during, something that a normal 'fire safe' will not even try to hold..its designed for papers etc, and for that is far better.

I got 2 Sentrys, and 1 I would, for temp, put computer disks in, and the other I would NEVER, both are Sentry, but the internal construction is different between the 2.

--Shiva--

Reply to
--Shiva--

.. Right. 125, not 150; thanks for the correction. (If anyone wants the formal specs, I can dig them up again; one of the manufacturers used to have 'em on their website.)

Reply to
Joe Kesselman

Forgot to say:

Standard kluge-around is to toss a can of silica gel or other moisture-absorber into the box. (Not a bad idea on principle for a sealed container.) Remember to refresh it periodically per manufacturer's instructions; some of 'em change color to indicate when they're starting to go.

On the other hand: If the heat starts going up, that stuff starts giving off the water it captured ... bingo, instant steambath. Which, as noted, might not be a bad thing for papers but...

Reply to
Joe Kesselman

"jsmith" ( snipped-for-privacy@nl.rogers.com) writes: Ottawa Canada

Rather than asking for a recommendation for a safe on a newsgroup, you should contact your local safeman or safe dealer.

They an discuss the size and security le el of the safe you need.

If it will ho,ld cash moneyu, bearer bonds or valuable jewellery, yiou want a properly rated safe certified by Underwriters Laboratories.

If it wilkl hold records you want a fire safe and they are NOT burglar resistent.

A computer media safe has its own requirements depending upon whether you just need fire protection or burglar resistance.

And dis uss with your office insurance company what break if any you will get on your insurancwe by buying the new super duper safe.

Your question is like wanting a new truck for the ompany without knowing if it will deliver light things or heavy sand or gravel or liquid gasoline.

Personally, I like CHUBB safes inb appropriate sizes as they are well built and come with a Underwriters laboratories label attesting to their burglar resistan e.

Refine your questi9n better and s0me0nme jhere can give advi e. And remember, if in doubt as to the se urity lev el you need, buy the higher grade, not the lower grade.

Brian

office safe so I assume the most > common one would be the most dependable.

Reply to
Brian K.Lingard

(snip)

(snip)