Most common safe?

I've seen a bunch of them with a dial, and a two wheel combination. The Sentry people call the drivecam a "wheel". So,t hey call it three wheel.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

It's got a gate in it, so I could defend their usage. (Do you call the ubiquitous Master padlock two- or three-wheel?).

Combining the drive cam with a wheel doesn't affect the number of possible combinations, just how well it protects its combo and contents.

Since they don't _intend_ these to do more than slow someone down a bit, that's fine. The problem comes when the marketing glosses over that point.

Reply to
Joe Kesselman

Drivecams on S and G have a "gate" if you want to call it that. Master padlocks I call them two wheel.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

I wouldn't call it that. It doesn't interact with the fence; it's used to retract the bolt _after_ the gates in the combination wheels have been lined up.

On the Sentry, or a padlock, the dial is not used to retract the bolt. I would call these three-wheel with no drive cam, rather than two wheel with a drive cam.

But I agree that this is a fuzzy corner of the terminology. We ought to check that glossary-standardization effort and see whether the usages there match either, or neither, of our answers.

Reply to
Joe Kesselman

drive cam n. the first wheel rotated by a dial or key that has an opening designed to allow the fence, lever, or tailbar to enter and facilitate in opening of the lock or safe

The first wheel >

Reply to
Billy B. Edwards Jr.

That matches my usage. Thanks.

Reply to
Joe Kesselman

If it has a gate it is a wheel. A wheel can do double duty as a drivecam. Most combo padlocks are designed that way.

Reply to
Putyourspamhere