need a 7" backset entry set

I just moved into a place that has two keys for the deadbolt and entry. I want to replace them with a single keyed entry set. The deadbolt is 2

3/4" backset, but the other lock is backset 7". It has a Schlage 4 3/4" extension link.

The only thing I have found to fit it is a Schlage Series A (which is what the bottom lock currently is, the top is an ACE hardware deadbolt). These are out of my price range, but I cannot find any other residential lock set that has this 7" backset.

Does anyone know if another manufacturer produced an extension link for their latch (the Schlage link will not work with locks other than the Series A) or has a 7" latch? thanks

Reply to
surfstar101

Ummm... Here's a thought...

Replace the deadbolt with something that has the same keyway as your currently installed 7" backset entry lock and have them rekeyed...

This really isn't all that difficult of a situation to solve...

Evan, ~~formerly a maintenance man, now a college student...

Reply to
Evan

Got me beat. I've got some 5 inch bolts for Kwikset, some where. But after

21 years in the trade, I've not heard of a 7" backset. Until this moment.

Since the bottom lock is Schlage, how about you call a locksmith to rekey that lock, and install a Schlage deabolt in the other hole? Very simple.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

Same here. Now what I have seen is a knob lock in the center of the door with a bunch of extensions linked together. Usually seen that on double residential doors

Reply to
Bob DeWeese, CML, CJS

OK let me tell you a little more about your house. You probably live in a house that was built from the late 40's to the early 60's. You also have a large escutcheon. Are you sure you have an A series knob? The 7" backset was rather rare in the A series but a little more common in the D series.

Even if you have an A series the lock is probably a keeper. Anything that would wear out in that lock can be repaired and will probably out live you.

I would see your local locksmith for a Schlage dead bolt and have him give the knob a once over.

There is also a possibility that the Schlage knob is a wafer series that you can't key to match with a pin tumbler deadbolt. If this is the case, just get a Schlage A series knob and dead bolt.

Avoid the Schlage dead bolts they sell at the big box stores. IMHO they are junk. I have seen too many of them fail.

Plan B is to fill the hole at the 7 inch and re-boar a hole at 2 3/4. This is kind of tricky but not imposable. This is not advisable however if your door is stained.

If you have a hollow core door, or a double door, now might be a good time to consider replacing the whole door.

Reply to
Roger Shoaf

like others have advised, just replace the ACE with a Schlage dead-bolt with the same keyway as your knob-lock.

Reply to
"Key

i never understood those. the leverage was all wrong for the user and you wind up with the edge of the door in your face.

another thing i never understood are those commerical glass doors that pivot on an arm in the middle. what a real pain in the ass to open those things.

Reply to
billb

It was primarily done for looks back in the 60s(?). Very short-lived

Or you don't get him at all.

Bobby (Now I want a ham sandwich for some reason)

Reply to
Bob DeWeese, CML, CJS

Good for those who want to be hobbits. (JRRT described hobbit-holes as having round doors with knobs in the middle.)

As I've said before, someday I'll set up a door with a 28" backset just for amusement's sake...

Reply to
Joe Kesselman

It was done for the aesthetics. With a real long backset on double doors, this allowed for a large escutcheon and centering the knob in the center of the door.

This reminds me of Get Smart. I seem to recall an episode where in his apartment he had a knob on the left and the latch was on the right.

Reply to
Roger Shoaf