Old 3-slot Western Electric payphone: keys?

I just managed to pick up a very nice 1970-vintage wooden phone booth, and as an extra bonus an old Western Electric 3-slot pay phone is still inside.

Problem is, I don't have any keys for the phone, and therefore no way to remove it (as far as I can see, without crowbaring it out!)

I'd like to take it out for cleaning and to see if I can repair it, but I don't want to drill the lock if it isn't going to get the phone loose.

Did each of these phones use a unique lock? The coin box lock looks like it's been punched in, but the main phone lock is intact.

Is there a "skeleton key" out there, or some other solution to removing the phone from the booth?

Reply to
Kevin Steele

I saw a site a few years ago for things like this. I saw all the details of older phone company equipment. Perhaps a google search. If you don't find one let em know. I have a freind who did phones from WWII till about 10 years ago.

Bob AZ

Reply to
Ace

Kevin:

Lots of leads and information here

Bob AZ

Reply to
Ace

Thanks, Bob!

After some more intensive Googling (and a few moments alone with the phone searching for more details) I discovered that I have an Automatic Electric payphone, circa 1940-50, model LPB86.

These phones use a "29S" universal key to access to upper half, and a unique key for the coin box. I ordered a key for $7 from Phonecoinc.com

Gotta love the Internet...

Reply to
Kevin Steele