PCDI Locksmithing course (two part)

I recently just finished the PCDI (profesional career developement institute) locksmithing course (2 months ago) and it seemed like a decent course, using books like 'locksmithing from apprentince to master' and 'the complete book of locks and locksmithing', in addition to 'profesional locksmithing techniques'(all books are "selections of" and the authors are Rathjen, Roper and Phillips and Phillips respectively).

Part One of this post: How do the professionals here feel about PCDI from what theyve seen, heard, worked with people who have used it, etc.. If you never heard of it how do you rate the book selection that comprised the course?

Part Two: For all those thinking of using this course I have to gripe just a bit...

  1. There books are 'selections of' thus they chose the most relevant topics and complied them into an abriged version of the book (albeit it was history and topics such as detention locks that were removed). i feel the whole book would have been better.

  1. The equipment they send you for the hands-on (barring the rekeying set) was horrendus, low quality and for a 760 dollar (US) course i'd expect a bit more.

  2. The biggest gripe i have is related to one of their major selling points... upon completion of the course you will recieve an ILCO 027A key duplicating machine. Its been two months and I still havent recieved it, when calling (on three occasians) i was directed to voice mail where i left my complaint (politely) name and phone number and never heard from them again.

Other than the above the content seemed decent (im but a novice though) it seemed to be a good course.... and beings the army's tuition assistance covered 750 dollars, it wasnt that bad of a price (10 bucks).

Im interested in anybody elses feedback on their use of this or similar courses. thanks

--- Jesse

ps this email is a spam trap email address any responses to it will probobly never be read.

Reply to
ragtag99

ahh, suggestion? you received the literature and signed up to this course thru mail?

emm, then, perhaps its mail fraud, and the post office folks would be interested??? perhaps you should talk to them..

--Shiva--

Reply to
--Shiva--

i doubt its mail fraud, i recieved all my other shipments on time which included materials and books, they just dont seem to want to part with the key cutter

Reply to
ragtag99

They could be waiting for the Army to pay their part. I have an 027A-not bad-have had it for years. I sure as HELL would not sell mine for 10 bucks!!! If the Army has paid,then maybe they are a scam-Or maybe they are just screwed up-or maybe you are-or maybe you are not...

Later, goma.

Reply to
goma865

looks like ya might have gotten your ten bucks worth :-) seriously, put that behind you and look forward. the "course" has done what its suppose to. it has given you some basics to help you get into an apprenticeship, where the real learning will begin. remember, you will get out, what you put in.

g'luck

Reply to
Key

I too took the PCDI course, and actually, I got my key cutter, and on time. I have been unable to get an apprenticeship with any locksmiths where I live, but I am buying information and practicing my skills.

PCDI is not a scam, but it may not be the best course out there.

I am also considering doing some of the things that Foley Belsaw offers. After all, education from all areas is important.

It's why I tend to hang out here, on IL, and a few yahoo groups

Reply to
Skald Grimnir