Proper way to load key blank.

I have a general question that should be easy to answer. I just started learning how to make keys a few days ago. But now i seem to have forgotten the way to load the blank.Do you load it with the key name facing the opposite direction.? I have bad eyes and can't see the grooves too well. I don't want to load it upside down, especially on the keys where the shoulders are straight and not offset.Does that make sense? I think it's a Speedex machine. It had two handle adjustments. Each handle has the letters A,B,C,and D that you set to determine cutting measurements.Thanks.

Reply to
shareyourknowledge

Load it with the blade up.

Do you load it with the key name

Gosh I have been a locksmith since 1977 and I never realised that you could miscut a key with off set shoulders and have it work anyway.

Does that make

It explains a lot actually.

If you look on the bottle, it probably says not to opperate heavy machinery. Now we have a better understanding of the type of machinery they are refering to.

I think it's a Speedex machine. It had two handle adjustments.

Reply to
Roger Shoaf

On most standard keys, the tip of the blade curves in toward the cut side to make it easier to push back the pins and enter the lock.

Feel the original tip, insert into the machine cuts up. Feel the blanks tip and insert into the machine the same way.

The shoulder stop should provide correct alignment to make your copy...

If you get an automatic key cutter, you should have it made!

Reply to
BogusID

Reply to
shareyourknowledge