Quill Filing Cabinet, Lower Drawers

Ok, same filing cabinet, different issue.

We've changed the lock on the cabinet. The drawer with the lock, locks. The lower drawers don't lock when the top drawer is locked.

I don't see any obvious mechanism by which the lower drawers would be kept shut by the top one.

Can anyone suggest anything I can check, or point me to some online technical reference to these Quill fire-resistant, locking filing cabinets?

Thanks in advance.

Reply to
Chris Morton

see what the lock would do pushed in and LOCKED.. IE, take the top? drawer out, and WATCH.. you got a rod/arm jammed..

--Shiva--

Reply to
--Shiva--

That was my logical assumption, however I can't find any reachable mechanism that seems to have any effect. There's a spring loaded plunger on the right side inside of the body of the cabinet where it looks like the back end of the lock would strike it. I used a screwdriver to depress it while trying to open a lower drawer. The drawer opened with no problem. I assume that the plunger only affects the drawer with the lock. I couldn't find any linkage between it and the other drawers.

Any suggestions on where I might look for a linkage?

Thanks for your help.

Reply to
Christopher Morton

ok, that MIGHT BE the case, only 1 drawer lock.. but... if there is interlocking mechanism, its a flat bar, to the RIGHT of what you saw.. most better cabinets lock all 4.

BTW.. ALL the doors must be totally shut for the linkage TO work.if one is out, then it may or may not lock all. sometimes that bar is spring loaded..

--Shiva--

Reply to
--Shiva--

I'll look for the bar.

Thanks.

Reply to
Christopher Morton

Often on the side of the drawer there will be a dog you can flip to one position to permit the drawer to lock and the other way to prevent the drawer from locking.

Reply to
Roger Shoaf

Which is exactly what I found just before reading your email. It works now.

The "flat bar" tip was a big help. I saw a rod/bar with pins sticking out the side. I knew the pins had to be there for SOME reason. I found the "dog", and somebody else threw it so it could engage the pin. Now the lower drawers lock.

Thanks for your help.

Reply to
Chris Morton