Schlage Vs. Kwikset For Residential

Hello,

I am looking to replace 4 cheapo deadbolts that came with my house and spoke to a local locksmith today. He was pushing the Kwikset Ultra, but said he would also sell Schlage Ultima upon request. He mentioned that the Kwikset deadbolt has 6 pins vs. 5 in the Schlage. Well, I went to Home Depot today and looked at both locks, and based solely on inspection I'd chose the Schlage Ultima. It was heavier, and was definitely a beefier cast.

Questions... Why do I care about 5 pins vs. 6? Or do I? I assume this has something to do with lock picking resistance? I also inquired about Ilco and he immediately asked me who recommended Ilco. He said that Ilco is primarily a commercial lock and he didn't deal with it. Is Ilco really worth pursuing for a residential setting? I do intend on reinforcing my frames with 3" lag bolts. And finally, what is the general consensus on Kwikset Ultra vs. Schlage Ultima?

Thanks.

Reply to
briansgooglegroupemail

All else being equal, a 6-pin locks is somewhat more secure than a 5-pin lock. Whether all else is equal depends on specific models of lock and how they're set up.

Rather than talking brands, you may want to be talking grades. Most low-end residential locks are Grade 3. A Grade 2 lock will generally be more secure and more physically durable... but will cost you more. A Grade 1 lock will be a further improvement but significantly more expensive. Generally, I'd suggest Grade 2 for residential unless you live in a particularly low-crime area and aren't using that door very often.

Reply to
Joe Kesselman

what do YOU like? whats the warrenty for each-which makes you feel better? Schlage makes 2 other grades, FAR more pricey, but, tougher.. if you can stand plain, but want tough look at the Schlage grade

2.. --Shiva--
Reply to
--Shiva--

The Schlage Ultima (Model 360 and 362) claim to be grade 2. You must be referring to the 660 and 662 commerical deadbolts? Will they work in a residential backplate?

Reply to
briansgooglegroupemail

I second that^.

goma.

Reply to
goma865

Err, I mean residential backset....

Reply to
briansgooglegroupemail

no, THE grade 2..the genuine A series.. like an A53PD-or if money isnt a problem, then the D series..just dont faint on the prices quoted.. for a TOUGH deadbolt.. I want the Ilco, formerly know as the LORI.. thats a TOUGH deadbolt.. --Shiva--

Reply to
--Shiva--

a 'lot' of the commercial lock sets can be had with either 2 3/8 or 3/4 backset. BUT they are NOT 'twist a part to change the backset' as is some of the residential.. you order them like you want..

--Shiva--

Reply to
--Shiva--

Also, the LORI 80 keyway is hard to find at the present time.I do not know if it is actually a commercial keyway or not. I recently rekeyed some doors for a landlord using the LORI DB and some mortise cylinders on LORI 80.

Not telling me about this until after,the landlord went to every hardware store in town, also Home Depot,WalMart,and some others to try and get a copy-no such luck. They took one look and shrugged their shoulders.... I suppose this could vary with geographical area-but that's my 2.

Later, goma.

Reply to
goma865

Also depends on your personal situation. It seems a certain middle aged woman

had well founded fears of being investigated by private detectives (Ralph Nader style) and had a Medeco installed. It kept the scumbags out, although they seemed to have bribed the super to let them have a quick glance inside.

An ordinary 6 pin cylinder would not seem to offer any improvement over a 5 pin cylinder in this regard.

Reply to
Peter

It does offer an improvement, though not a huge improvement if you're concerned sbout keeping experts out.

Medeco or another high-security cylinder would certainly do the job, but depending on what she was trying to protect against whom it might have been sufficient to just set up a decent-quality ordinary cylinder with spool pins.

(BTW, if you're going to cite an example, pls provide a link to that example rather than to a website that also covers many other issues. Though Groklaw is a useful resource, I'm not going to search through it for this particular story.)

Reply to
Joe Kesselman

What do you think about the Baldwin deadbolts? I was told they're basically high end Schlages... They are DEFINITELY heavier, and I like the fact that they only protrude from the door 1/2". Pricewise, they seem about in line with Ilco. The do get a bad rap around here, though, and I wonder why?

Thanks.

Reply to
briansgooglegroupemail

what is the difference between a Caddy car, and a Chevrolet? parts are a LOT of the same, but the diff is price.. the Chevy part is $20, and the Caddy gets $75 for the same thing, with a different name on it..same here IMO..

lately the Schlage that I hae come across I am NOT too impressed with, as far as 'tough'.. I care NOT for the differences in finish- I am strictly looking at how hard is it for me to get into.

--Shiva--

Reply to
--Shiva--

Buy the Schlage BC160 series deadbolts. Stay away from the Schlage 360 or any Kwikset if you want a quality deadbolt.

Reply to
lardsoup