TSA-approved cam locks

I have several Zero-Halliburton aluminum (aluminium for the Brits) suitcases, which I use to haul fairly heavy stuff on airline trips. Unfortunately, the latches are subject to popping open if the suitcase is dropped. It is rather disheartening to see your suitcase tumble end-over-end down the steps (I often fly on smaller aircraft where they still use them), spilling the contents all over the tarmac.

In the "old days" I could simply lock them, but the TSA no longer permits that unless you use a special "TSA-approved" lock. But all I can find are padlocks, while these suitcases use an ordinary wafer type cam lock.

Does anyone know of a TSA-approved cam lock that I can use on these suitcases? Yes, I know that every thief and his brother know how to open TSA locks, but what choice do I have?

Alternatively, is there a replacement latch for these cases that is secure against accidental opening?

Thanks, Alan

Reply to
Alan

Alan:

Why do you need a lock for your suitcases ??? If you are worried about them coming open when they shouldn't just secure them with a non-locking nylon strap, possibly one that is adjustable and easily removd via a plastic buckle of some kind...

Evan, ~~formerly a maintenance man, now a college student...

Reply to
Evan

I have used them, but am unhappy with them. They are a pain in the posterior to use and the TSA employees never seem to be able to cinch them back up properly. Twice, they didn't arrive at my destination with the suitcases. I don't know if their loss was due to damage or simply a lazy/dishonest employee, but the result was the same.

Alan

Reply to
Alan

Shurlock does make a locking combination belt that is TSA approved.As far as a replacement cam lock, I would'nt have the slightest-but it could be down the road.

goma.

Reply to
goma865
<snip>

Out of interest, did Congress make it a serious criminal offence to have unlawful possession of TSA over-ride keys or blanks? If not they ought to do so and encourage other Governments to do the same. Hopefully airlines, airports and their contractors will instantly dismiss anyone found with such keys without authority.

Reply to
Peter

Ah..What everyone needs to understand is that the TSA on those locks stands for Travel Sentry Approved, not the normal acronym everyone thinks it means. Travel Sentry is a private company that came up with the idea to have a 'restricted key' override on a lock and only give the keys to airport security. It just happens that right now that airport security is the Transportation Security Administration, (TSA), coincidence? I think not. The government TSA has refused to endorse any of those locks but does allow it's personnel to use the keys and thereby avoid breaking locks to inspect baggage.

Most of the locks are a joke that can be >

Reply to
Billy B. Edwards Jr.

No suitcase or suitcase lock is all that secure, so there's no point in worrying about who has the key. So the intent of the lock isn't security, it's prevention of accidental opening. And maybe the hinderance of browsing.

So, what I do is to put a copy of the key on a lanyard that's attached to the handle. Then at least the suitcase may survive undamaged.

Joe

Reply to
Joseph Gwinn

I don't know whether the fits the "official" rules, but it's simple and elegant...

Reply to
Joe Kesselman

I have considered a variant of that solution (put the key in a well-labeled small envelope, taped near the lock), but am unsure what TSA's reaction would be. I'm not sure that all their employees can comprehend something that complex.

I e-mailed Zero-Halliburton about this problem, but have not received a reply yet. It's only been one week, so perhaps they are a bit behind. I can't believe they haven't run into this problem before.

Alan

Reply to
Alan