Which is harder to open with lock picks?

A common 5 pin tumbler door knob or a 5 pin tumbler deadbolt? I am trying to decide which to install in my back door. Thanks for any help.

Reply to
jsmith

All other things being equal there is no difference.

Reply to
Putyourspamhere

nope...lets get key NAMES..

my choice of 'easy to pick', and this applies to EITHER, are Weiser, Weslock, and Kwikset (or the numerous clones of it).. in THAT ORDER..(easiest, to hardest' of this family)

Schlage and Yale, are BOTH due to the pins and a few other things, more difficult... IMO.

a 'titan'? between the 2 groups..

now, for 'ease of getting IN',, different question.. a DOORKNOB. especially of the first 3 named above, for other reasons.. --Shiva--

Reply to
--Shiva--

Both are easy to open. Get an English 5-lever tumbler lock.

Go to...

lock for the model 2201. This "improved" Google newsgroup sucks.

C.W.

Reply to
dumpjunkmailhere

Tell me about it I sent a couple of emails to them about it but I know it won't do any good. That thing is so damn buggy it isn't even funny....

Leon Rowell

Reply to
Leon Rowell

Please keep the Google discussion in a Google-specific newsgroup/list/whatever; it's offtopic and not useful/interesting to those of us who don't go through Google.

Reply to
Joe Kesselman

Well Joe, I guess it depends on who is doing the off topic posting whether it is OK or not. Below is one of a few I found from you.

Please don't correct me when I post two OT sentences on something I think is important....

Leon Rowell

--------------------------------

Joe Kesselman Nov 14, 6:31 am show > I think all locksmiths were in "Special ED".

Quick reminder that "special ed" does not necessarily mean "low intelligence"; it may simply mean the kid needs help with a particular learning disability. My full-time job is at IBM Research. I'm an MIT grad. I was also in special ed for several years, until one particular teacher helped me find the key to overcome my near-total writing block.

Reply to
Leon Rowell

In article snipped-for-privacy@f14g2000cwb.googlegroups.com>

, snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com writes

2134 for a deadlock, 2234 for a sashlock (includes the latch) might be a better choice, both are approved to the BS3621 which is the security standard for this type of British lock, whereas the 2201 is not (less drill & pick resistant).

Union is not top end but definitely the useable end of quality.

Reply to
fred

Similar lever-tumbler bit key locks are also manufactured in England by Era, Legg, Chubb, Yale (UK), and several others that are not coming to mind at the moment. A 5-lever lock will suffice for most residential and commercial applications. For rough neighborhoods, get a 6 or

7-lever lock.

Re: pin tumber locks - have everyone at your school or office throw their keys into a bucket and there's a good chance you'll find a handful of keys that will fit your house! So forget about pin tumblers.

The Union 5-lever locks are available in the USA at:

dumpjunkmailhere

In article snipped-for-privacy@c13g2000cwb.googlegroups.com

Selecting a BS3621 standard lock will cost about $10 extra and buys you a drill resistant plate, some pick resistance and certifies that the lock has been tested to a standard against force, sawing and other attacks. Seems like a worthwhile extra $10 to me.

Reply to
fred