Scaling beyond 130nm dead or alive?

These numbers are characteristic dimensions of features (DRAM half-pitch, etc.). Essentially, you can think of these numbers as the gate width.

There does not seem to be any reason not to be able to make things this small. The big problem is the on-chip wiring. About now, there is about 9 layers of thin, skinny copper wiring on top-of-the-line chips (I say top-of-the-line in terms of manufacturing acheivement, not performance).

At some point, you would be making tiny transistors buzzing away like crazy that are farther apart from each other than was the case in the previous generation, because the wiring would limit the performance too much if they were spaced closer together. The cost advantage of puting more transistors per unit area would disappear, and the cost would go up fast.

This is why people are looking at 3D ICs and such: interconnection.

---> Insert shameless plug for the article I wrote in the March 2004 issue of IEEE Spectrum. The money keepers need to understand this stuff before the engineers have a chance to do what they need to do.

-

Electronics

Reply to
John Baliga

Dear John,

Thank you for that answer. I do agree with you about interconnection problem.

But it also sounds from your post like this interconnection problem is the only problem that exists and as you write, "there does not seem to be any reason not to be able to make things this small".

I cannot agree on that.

I've intentionally looked to International Technology Roadmap for Semiconductors web-site

have a list of Grand Challenges for the near ( These numbers are characteristic dimensions of features (DRAM half-pitch,

Reply to
Andrew