Worm gear material

Does anyone know the chemical composition and mechanical properties of Rd65 VL22 Copper alloy. Or where I could get it from. Also the
Standard from which this material comes from would be useful.
I have searched the internet and am unable to find its specification.
Thanks,
Martin

Try.. http://www.anchorbronze.com/crossdata.htm
all I could google was...
http://www.morat.com/US/sch_rad/info.html
"Materials - The worms are case-hardened; the bore and worm flanks are ground. Standard worm gears are made from VL22, a copper-zinc alloy with aluminium, silicon and manganese additives."
Dear CWatters:

Copper and zinc make brass. You did a lot better than I did. I could find no listing of anything useful on google with the information supplied. Good work!
David A. Smith
message

with
find
I guessed that the Rd65 part might refer to the percentage of Copper (or something like that) and deleted it from the search. eg
http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&q=VL22+Copper+alloy
message

with
find
I thought 9 copper : 1 tin was brass. And that 1 copper : 9 tin was bronze. I thought some math textbook from when I was a kid said this. Maybe 9 copper : 1 tin for BRONZE would be okay, judging by a few internet pages. Is there some other thing which is 10% copper, 90% tin? I saw some mention of pewter with this kind of ratio. To the OP's question, I didn't even know that worms had gears.
operator jay wrote:

http://dictionary.reference.com/search?q=brass
Dear operator jay:

No. Copper-zinc alloy is brass, in "any" proportion. Don't use brass in vacuum, as zinc has a vapor pressure. Copper-tin alloy is bronze.

Mechanical ones do!
David A. Smith

properties of

the
specification.
flanks are

alloy
could
supplied.
Brass is a Cu--Zn alloy

Bronze is a Cu--Sn alloy.
--
Franz
One Galileo in 2000 years is enough. Pope Pius XII

You are possibly mistaken in thinking this designates a copper/brass/bronze alloy.
Accordingly, you could go with an engineering approach: what material would I like for a worm? A phosphor bronze, likely
Brian Whatcott Altus OK

I dont think that "Rd65 VL22 Copper alloy" is an ASTM designation. This could be a trade name or part number. Not sure.
I would try to find some worm gear manufacturers online and see which alloys they use. I'm betting it's ChromeVanadium Steel.
If it's a copper alloy, it might be an Aluminum Bronze, which is frequently used for gears.
1) The VL22 is a special gear bronze - a bronze gear alloy with apprently no lead. Aka known as Aeterna (the mfg?)
2) Are you sure about the R "d" 65? If it is actually a "b", that would be the hardness used in bronze gears. The D scale is a lot harder than the C used for steel or the B used for bronze. The D would show up if the bronze was somehow face-hardened.
3) I think, but I wouldn't bet the house, that it is from a French or German mfg
4) If you had a CDA (Copper development Association) number for the alloy, the alloy that was registered by the manufacturer to get a number, it would help a lot.

would
The only reference on the web I could is this company....
http://www.morat-kg.com/e/sch_rad/index.html
http://www.morat-kg.com/e/sch_rad/indexinfo.html
Quote: "Standard worm gears are made from VL22, a copper-zinc alloy with aluminium, silicon and manganese additives"