Latest threads in ⚙ Mechanical Engineeringshow only best voted threads

Subject Author Posted Replies

Heart Lung Machine
Surgery of the heart usually involves opening the heart muscle. For operations of short duration it is possible to apply hypothermy (deep cooling) and thus temporarily stopping the blood circulation...

Modeling of a pan tilt unit
Dear All, I am looking information on modeling the response of a Pan Tilt Unit. I am interested in the dynamic response of the motors etc. but also the mechanical response of the unit. Any help...

bolt torque linear force
Hi Guys: I think I have a simple question. 200ft/lbs on a bolt. 3/4" diameter bolt, about 16 turns/inch (pitch) 200*12inches=2400in/lbs, right? 3/4" bolt radius=.375", right? that's 6400 pounds at the...
3
3

caster
I have an old, very beat-up pickup truck that has developed the "death wobble" on the highway, like when it's going over 50 and hits a rough spot. That will set off a violent shaking in the front end...
5
5

Fancy mechanisms for hidden doors
Having just watched The Name of the Rose again, it occurred to me that mechanisms for hidden doors (move a specific book in a library, twist a certain torch holder to the left, press the eye sockets...
4
4

Calculations for raising temperature in specific amount of time
Hi, I am trying to calculate the amount of heat required to raise the temperature of a rubber sphere by 20 degree's Celcius within 10 seconds. The rubber sphere will be heated via radiation in a...
7
7

safe cracking
Remember those old movies, where the burglar picked the safe, listening through a stethoscope? Well, out of curiosity, I bought a stethoscope, and tried it on my gym locker, a standard Master...
2
2

Need help determining strength of aluminum rod please.
I need to know how much weight a =BD=94 aluminum rod will support. The rod= is T-6061-T6 and is 18=94 long. It will be support by the first 3=94 in a = fixture. How much weight can I put on the end...
2
2

Fixturing Question
I need to fixture some small diameter wires , (0.013") for coating. These parts are small diameter, but they're moderately long, (60" to 84"). Also, by fixture, I mean hold both ends securely so I can...
2
2

Q: articles or other sources of data on press fit influence on fatigue life
I am looking for information regarding the effect of a press fit on fatigue life for a cantilevered round pin subjected to reversed bending load. The idea involves the application of the...
1
1

how to mount VAWT on tapered roller bearing?
I'm making a wind-powered sculpture (powered by a VAWT - and I am trying to construct a rotating turntable as the base of the VAWT. I tried a 6" lazy susan bearing but it's loud and there's too much...
6
6

need gears for light-duty wind project
I'm not a mechanical engineer. I'm working on a kinetic sculpture that will connect a vertical-axis wind turbine to a drum mounted on a lazy susan type platform (a board on a thrust bearing). I need...
2
2

call for Research Papers
( WE APOLOGIZE IF YOU RECEIVE MULTIPLE COPIES OF THIS MESSAGE ) ========================================================= ARPN Journal of Systems and Software Call for Research Papers Sir/ Madam, ARPN...

Converting a pendulum movement into a vertical one
Hi, What is the most efficient mechanical way of converting a swing movement into a vertical one. I have an inverting pendulum and I would like to vertical shaft up and down: O || || ^ || | || v ||...
2
2

acoustic kinetic art project - could use advice
Hi everyone! I am not myself a mechanical engineer. I'm trying to create a wind- driven kinetic sculpture that is basically a big music box. Nothing profoundly complex about it. I was hoping to get...
5
5