origin of name "Quality Function Deployment" ?

I am curious where does the name "Quality Function Deployment" come from? Does it mean that you "deploy" a "quality function" in order to end up with a better product or should it be read as: quality, function and deployment (of something, presumably a new product).

thanks Paul

Reply to
Paul

Dear Paul:

I read it as deployment as a quality (or group) function. 282000 hits on google.

David A. Smith

Reply to
N:dlzc D:aol T:com (dlzc)