Technical elective selection comments

Hello all,

I need to choose between two tech electives for next semester. When I made my schedule last spring I thought I would be able to take the class I am scheduled for now (Automatic Control) and then take Finite Element Analysis next spring with one other elective. (I only need 3 more) I found out this week that FEA won't be offered next spring, and neither will Automatic Control. I can only get one or the other in my schedule, and there are no tech electives offered in the summer term, which will be my last term.

So... Which class does the NG think would be more useful for an engineer right out of school? Here are the class objectives:

Automatic Control Course Objectives: To introduce the concepts of feedback control, to teach its application in the analysis and design of controllers for dynamic systems. And to serve as a foundation for further study in the field of control systems.

The Finite Element Method Course Objectives: To provide students with an introduction to the derivation and formulation of finite element equations and experience in the use of a commercial finite element software package. (I'm pretty sure we use Ansys)

Thanks in advance

Reply to
mjr1001

During my recent job search, I've noticed that in some job descriptions, employers like you to have FEA experience, or at least understand the method. Even though I didn't take an FEA elective (maybe that's why I don't have a job yet) I would highly recommend it. Warning: FEA is probably the hardest undergrad ME tech elective... no matter what school you go to.

-Stephen

Reply to
stephenMF

I'd go with the FEA class. You're more likely to use it in the field.

I've had both classes and have never really used the control theory, even though I have been in the field of machine design and robotics for eighteen years. Control theory gets into how to model a dynamic system using differential equations and crazy graphs. It's quite involved and requires a good understanding of Laplace Transforms. In the real world you probably wouldn't use it unless you were in some sort of intense research. FEA, on the other hand, can be pretty handy at times, especially in conjunction with today's improved software.

Good luck!

Don

Reply to
Don A. Gilmore