Too technical for SEM?

Reading Dan Howden's profile in this month's SEM, I was pleased to see that he thinks there should be more technical articles. Now, some of you may have seen my short (because of a paucity of information) piece on 'Systeme Loyal' in the previous issue - this has drawn comments from a few individuals that it was too technical with the cycle description being virtually incomprehensible to T.C. Mits.

Your comments please.

NHH

Reply to
NHH

Nick,

First off stop chewing the dictionary when you write stuff, I had too get my dictionary out to find "paucity" :-))

I had no problem with your article being an Engin ear helps though :-)) its a matter of balance and at the moment there tends not to be that choice, histories are interesting but they are getting more regular. It is us lot that supply the articles so I suppose its down to us.

Kim bring your books to Enstone please I still want one :-))

Martin P

Reply to
campingstoveman

I'd welcome more technical stuff and more than the USA engines (I'd rather wait for the book than yawn my way through the bits). I'd also suggest that we can leave dumbing down to the Govt. and media.

ttfn Roland

Reply to
Roland Craven

campingstoveman wrote (snip):

I am pleased to have been the agent of your linguistic enlightenment Martin ;-) Now that you know what paucity of information means you will probably realise that it is the inspiration for many for my (and perhaps other's) articles which are but thinly disguised appeals to those who may have more!

NHH

Reply to
NHH

I'm going to make another fuel tank soon, I could do a piece on that if its not to technical :-))

Reply to
campingstoveman

I enjoyed your Loyal article, and re-reading it now it doesn't appear excessively technical to me... My thoughts were that technical articles are a piece of the mix that is missing in the mag at the moment - A to Z's etc have their place, but variety is the spice of life.

Martin - A 'How to build your own Fuel Tank' article would be something different for the mag - don't think it has been covered before.

Regards Dan

Reply to
Dan Howden

Thanks Dan, I thought I had described the cycle in the simplest possible terms which is why the comments I recieved (at our local SE club) rather suprised me. And yes please Martin, I think a tank construction article would be most welcome.

NHH

Reply to
NHH

I think so too, go for it. BTW I have a new brass filler cap unit c/w solder-on flange to start you off. . Same as on a WD2 for example. Any use?

Eric

Reply to
Eric Brain

Posts from Eric *and* Roland - are we witnessing the return of the 'old guard'? I hope so!

NHH

Reply to
NHH

Reply to
Charles Hamilton

In arrogating my responsibility as a semi-technical author, I never flinch from the most detailed technical stuff when writing for SEM - if it is important to the point of the article. Writing the section on the balance of rotating forces in the ABC flat four took as much concentration as it does to follow it whilst reading! To his credit, Gordon didn't attempt to dumb it down and it went in as I wrote it as articles of that kind might well be referred to for research purposes in the years to come.

I think it's important to separate in the mind the purpose of that type of writing and the more everyday article that runs to around 500 words and a few photos. I have written several of the latter kind and SEM must cater for all tastes. I am more aware of this these days as I get occasional noises from my club membership that the newsletter that I edit has "too much about engines!" Club members have wives ..........

My manducation is that whilst I write technical stuff, I am happy to publish social stuff if anyone cares to send it in. Few do, so they get what I get. I'd bet a shillin' that Our Gordon is in the same bind!

Regards,

Kim Siddorn

Reply to
kimsiddorn

Any pictures of partially clad viking women ? I think that would ensure everyones full attention :-)

rgds bob

Reply to
Bob Lester

It's cold up north. Partially clad Viking women are still wearing lots of heavy wool & linen, usually in the form of shapeless baggy dresses that sweep the ankles.

Anyway, there were few sarmentuous girls to look at Bob.

Regards,

Kim Siddorn

Reply to
kimsiddorn

I thought the clobber described is what the men seem to wear, by the way are you chewing the same dictionary as Nick, more words I have to look up :-)) I will do that article over the next couple of months, thanks Eric for the offer of fittings. I have all I need from the old lister M tank its going to replace.

As of last night's AGM of the B&BSEC I'm now the editor of our news letter so will be looking at stuff to put in that, I have a few idea's to put forward so it will be interesting to see the response. The news letter only comes out three times a year so not hard work but I'm considering bringing it back to four. Amongst the rest of you whets the average no you receive from your club.

Martin P

Reply to
campingstoveman

Wessex has had a monthly newsletter for fourteen years. It is A3, folded A4 & you can find archives of it on the website archive.

We post it monthly to those who do not turn up to collect it on club night.

Regards,

Kim Siddorn

Reply to
kimsiddorn

Kim,

Very interesting read, I am looking at a similar layout but I want to introduce colour, I know cost will be an issue, but I think I can offset some of that by offering an emailed version to members which will then allow all sorts of things.

Reply to
campingstoveman

Gentlemen,

Tongue in cheek moment, what happens to the SEM if Kim, Roland, Dan, Nick, Eric and myself stop writing articles :-))

Martin P

Reply to
campingstoveman

I don't write any on account of an "inappropriate style " :-)

regards Roland

Reply to
Roland Craven

I thought about e-mail, but our membership is quite old & so few had access it wasn't worth it.

Reply to
kimsiddorn

Yes, but only one. I bet they've got more engines.

John

Reply to
John