water impenetrable material

Good morning, I am looking for suggestions for a water impenetrable material which melts around 60 oC. As in this ng many topics about mechanical properties, I would be very happy getting precise suggestions (I mean 'waxes' is too broad group of substances) Thanks, Marcel

Reply to
Marcel Verduyn

How about searching for

wax melting point

cheers Bob

Reply to
BobK207

if life were so simple ... my first criterion indeed is melting point but for instance paraffin waxes still water penetrates through ... what I would appreciate is someone saying, try this one, had great experience with thanks, Marcel

"BobK207" schrieb im Newsbeitrag news: snipped-for-privacy@i42g2000cwa.googlegroups.com...

Reply to
Marcel Verduyn

around 60 oC. As in

precise suggestions

You have not said what you are trying to do with this material. Is it a container like a box? Is it to coat the container? Is it a rust preventive? Until you describe the problem, how can one suggest a solution.? Cosmoline is used as a preservative:

had the following data, but is that what you are seeking?

Jim Y Cosmoline is a yellowish, light-amber, or greenish colored ointment-like mass, having a slight fluorescence, petroleum-like odor and taste. It is similar to petroleum jelly in properties, appearance, and thickness. It is the purified residue obtained from the distillation of petroleum oils.

Chemically, cosmoline is a homogeneous mixture of oily and waxy long-chain, non-polar hydrocarbons. It can range in color from white to yellow, and can differ in viscosity and shear strength. Cosmoline melts at 113-125 °F (45-52 °C) and has a flashpoint of 365 °F (185 °C).

Its most common use is in the storage and preservation of firearms. Previously, cosmoline was used to preserve other things. Objects the size of entire vehicles could be preserved for future use with cosmoline.

Reply to
Jim Y

dear Jim Y, you're right, it is intended for containment of water in a box. The box itself is made of stainless steel, I'd like to put a water impenetrable material on top. The material chemical structure has to be either so tight, or so hydrophobic, that only upon reaching meltin point the water is being released best regards, Marcel

"Jim Y" schrieb im Newsbeitrag news:xoWdnYW_S9L9oq_YnZ2dnUVZ snipped-for-privacy@comcast.com...

Reply to
Marcel Verduyn

sounds like a bomb trigger. Box made for one-time sudden release of water for chemical reaction, no water at all permitted until the temp is reached becuase of the cascading reaction, then flood of water to assure reaction. Box no longer suitable for use.

Reply to
hob

no, no, not a bomb trigger in the water, in very diluted form though, will be an active substance for instance for skin treatment, flavor anyways, as the analogy in working principle appears very interesting, what substance is suggested ? Marcel

"hob" schrieb im Newsbeitrag news:np6dnZ693vqU-K_YnZ2dnUVZ snipped-for-privacy@comcast.com...

Reply to
Marcel Verduyn

if it is for skin, you are limited in material to non reactants approved by the govt, and if it is commercial, the shelf life isn't that long-

you are looking at hydrogentated oil.

as the analogy in working principle appears very interesting, what

Reply to
hob

Check out low melting point metals.

amorrisonca1