Latest threads in ⚙ Mechanical Engineeringshow only best voted threads

Subject Author Posted Replies

Need advice on engineering career change (long)...
I'm a fairly recent mechanical eng grad (BS, May 2001) and am once again finding myself having to change jobs. Here's a summary of my post-grad work experience: 1)After graduating, I accepted a...
3
3

system analyst
i was wondering what is the difference between a system analyst and a consultant. the system analyst studies the problem and provides solution. but what about a consultant does he/she do the same job?...
1
1

Consult about imperial units
Hi, Just a brief question about imperial units. For weight/mass, what does "kips" stand for ? Is 1 kips = 1 pound = 0.454 Kg ? (I'm asking this because I'm used to the metric system) Thank you,...
10
10

Pulleys vs Gears
Neophyte question here.... What are the general considerations of using pulleys versus gears? Assume that rotary motion for transmitting power is the application (of which there is not one).
16
16

mechanical engineer vs industrial designer
What is the difference between mechanical engineer and industrial designer? I have a friend who graduated in 1985 with a BS in industrial design, but his job title at Qualcom is Senior Mechanical...
12
12

make holes on assembly file of MECHANICAL DESKTOP
Hi, I have a question in MECHANICAL DESKTOP. Is it possible to make holes on an assembly file? For Example, when you assemble the 3d parts of a valve and the welds, Is it possible to make the bolt...
1
1

looking for some devices which measure very low rotational speeds (about 10RPM or less)
Hello friends I am looking for some devices which measure very low rotational speeds (about 10RPM or less). Would you introduce some pleasewith some details. I would really apprecaite your help. Sina
2
2

Problem with plenum air speed
i am working on a job with a problem 3 supply fans /800mm duct size at one end of room each at 5m/s flow direct from outside. 3 extract fans sized as above 5m/s the room is a rectangle 4.5 x 14mts...
2
2

please help me!
What is analytical solution of a cylindrical multilayered orthotropic vessel with two spherical heads (stresses in cylinder)?

Re: [Q] Problem creating data files in ABAQUS/Explicit user subroutine VUMAT
Dear Wim, I am using the syntax open(16,file='path and filename',position='append') write(16,*) Lot,po(Lot),pu(Lot) in Abaqus Standard. I advise you to post your question in the Abaqus mailing list :...

Rotating engine design
Hi We have been working on a Mazda RX-7 and converting one housing and rotor into a engine similar to the first Wankel engine that was successfully tested in November of engine had a stationary...
5
5

strength of material problem
I tried to anderstand the morh's cirle ,please can any body help me to anderstand it? yours youssoufou waiting to hear from you.
3
3

Re: mech eng data
Mechanical Engineers' Handbook (known as "Marks") is the benchmark. Machinery's Handbook is practically oriented and very very thick. Handbook of Chemistry & Physics (known as the "Rubber Book") can...
2
2

g-sensor
You guys from mechanical, would you see any use of this devices: ? Thank you for your proposition. Denis Lachapelle, Sysacom R&D plus inc. tel (450) 585-6396
2
2

Worldwide Guide to Rapid Prototyping Web Site Update
Greetings: The WORLDWIDE GUIDE TO RAPID PROTOTYPING web-site is the deepest resource available anywhere to learn about RP and related technologies. It has complete directory listings, tutorial...