Experimental Alloy Question

Hello, Possibly someone here can steer me in the right direction. Over the past few years I?ve been following the progress at Lawrence Livermore Lab concerning the production of Liquid Metallic Hydrogen.

During the brief communication I had Bill Nellis informed me that one of their goals at the lab was to alloy the liquid metallic gas with another substance that would hopefully keep the hydrogen from reverting back to its gas phase.

Their experiments were intended to produce ultra strong and lightweight alloys for a variety of applications. Bill never mentioned exactly what materials or substances they were trying to alloy Liquid Metallic Hydrogen with.

I have noticed as of late that while the main web link is working, Bill?s email bounces back as undeliverable. The rest of the contacts are dead links as well. I?ve tried to contact Livermore Lab via their new contact menu with no response.
Question: does anyone know of other metallurgists or research organizations doing work in this field? I was hoping some group in the UK might be working on similar experiments.

Outside of Lawrence Livermore the only other data I found on Liquid Metallic Hydrogen was a method listed in of all places ?Lateral Science?.

Thanks for your input.

Reply to
Mike

Not knowing the facts of e-mail bounce back - it might simply be security. e.g. - you are not on a list of names. These are like spam lists - but are at user names all that are not on a selected list. -

The Author might have gone 'Gray' or 'Black' under various programs - again security. My brother is often in one or the other - I find out a year or two later. Just the fact that he was. I was like that during one project in a corporation. My patent popped out as I did.

Martin

Martin Eastburn @ home at Lions' Lair with our computer lionslair at consolidated dot net NRA LOH & Endowment Member NRA Second Amendment Task Force Charter Founder

Mike wrote:

Reply to
Martin H. Eastburn

Very interesting. This data is >5 years old and there has been no word since?

Perhaps MSMH is the real push behind the "hydrogen economy"... ?

Reply to
Mark Jones

It appears that William (Bill) Nellis is no longer in the phone book of the laboratory. Searching the LNL site for his name shows no hits in the last year or two. So, he may no longer be there.

From what I can gather, this is a really exotic field of research, many years from any application, and has several long leaps to make in the progress of the technology.

It is quite possible that LNL just isn't interested in these scarce dollars for research times.

Actually, I didn't get the impression that the word METAL as used actually had anything much to do with anything traditionally metallurgical, in the classical sense of stuff that gets extracted from ores, melted, alloyed and formed and heat treated.

The whole thing was an offshoot of a basic research question that just sort of wandered into different territory, with some hints of some kind of futuristic potential applications.

Mike wrote:

Reply to
jbuch

None.

You know, that may be true. hum....

Reply to
Mike

Private expenditures for projects involving this type of metallurgy would seem to be no problem for the Britts. Considering the UK seems to well afford plenty of research Dollars or Pounds for projects like building a full size working replica of Da Vinci?s Gigantic Crossbow not to mention several full size Trebuchet catapults.

Reply to
Mike

You pick very telling examples. Not good examples. Telling examples. They tell something significant about the picker.

Reply to
jbuch

Well that's good pal. What country are you from?

Reply to
Mike