Term definition

I am working on a patent examination and I need to get a formal, metallurgic definision of two terms: bronze braze or brazing

Can anyone help me with this?

Thanks

Reply to
Gosnop

in what capacity are you examining this patent?

Reply to
jim beam

The narrow definition of a bronze is an alloy of copper and tin with or without small proportions of other elements such as zinc and phosphorus. A broader definition (by function) also includes certain copper-base alloys containing less tin than other alloying elements, such as manganese bronze (copper-zinc plus manganese, tin and iron) and leaded tin bronze (copper-lead plus tin and sometimes zinc). By analogy, other copper base alloys without tin are also called (adjective) bronzes such as aluminum bronze (copper-aluminum), and silicon bronze (copper-silicon). Even broader definitions include trade names.

A loose definition is that brazing is the joining of metals through the use of heat and a filler metal - one whose melting temperature is above 840=B0F (450=B0C) but below the melting point of the two base metals being joined. See:

A more precise definition clarifies the distinction between brazing, soldering, and welding:

Brazing - The AWS defines brazing as a group of joining processes that produce coalescence of materials by heating them to the brazing temperature and by using a filler metal (solder) having a liquidus above 840=B0F (450=B0C), and below the solidus of the base metals.

Soldering - Soldering has the same definition as brazing except for the fact that the filler metal used has a liquidus below 840=B0F (450=B0C) and below the solidus of the base metals.

Welding - In welding, fusion takes place with melting of both the base metal(s) and usually a filler metal.

(The liquidus the lowest temperature at which a metal or alloy is completely liquid. The solidus is the highest temperature at which a metal or alloy is completely solid. In between it is mush.)

If you want good formal definitions, then go to your local public library or engineering library and look in the ASM Handbook (Older versions were called the Metals Handbook). Any good library should have the single volume Metals Handbook Desk Edition which has a section called Glossary of Metallurgical and Metalworking Terms.

Pittsburgh Pete

DISCLAIMER

We do not believe what we write, and neither should you. Information furnished to you is for topical (external) use only. This information may not be worth any more than either a groundhog turd, or what you paid for it (nothing). The author may not even have been either sane or sober when he wrote it down. Do not worry, be happy.

Reply to
metalengr

Thanks very much Pete. This is exactly what I needed.

Regards

Reply to
Gosnop

The patent is one that I am one of the authors on. It was granted in

1999. In 2003 (I believe) a lawsuit between the company owning this patent (which I do not work for any longer) and another company resulted a shotgun attack on the patent portfolio of my previous employer. This patent was not part of the actual lawsuit, which was settled in 2005. Unfortunately, once a reexamination is started it cannot be stopped short of a determination of the validity of the patent by the USPTO.

I was asked by my former employer to help them respond to the second office action by the PTO, which was looking to disallow about 1/2 of the claims of the patent. It turns out that the actual definitions of these terms may have a bearing the validity of the claims.

The patent is not a metallurgy patent in itself but uses the terms in some sections. The patent is associated with electronics packaging techniques.

Regards

Reply to
Gosnop