Latest threads in Metallurgy discussionsshow only best voted threads

Subject Author Posted Replies

copper continuous casting - problem
Please help me to solve the following problem. We produce copper rods by horisontal continuous casting. Diameter of rod - 18 mm. Average oxigen content is about 5 ppm. We often have poor quality due...
4
4

AlSi8Cu3(Fe) and steam
Hello, Background: High pressure die casted (material AlSi8Cu3(Fe)) parts are in contact with steam (water, nothing else). These parts are turning grey/dark grey in 15 minutes. Before they are in...
8
8

Nuclear Metallurgy
Am looking for some Nuclear metallurgy titles that would discuss neutron embrittlement of steels. References that would show photomicrographs and correlate fluence to damage motifs. I at one time had...
1
1

is ductile iron considered "nonmalleable iron"?
I was studying the tarrif schedule, and have a little difficulty understanding the definition of "nonmalleable cast iron", is ductile iron considered not "nonmalleable" or "nonmalleable"? I am hoping...
4
4

Heat effect on silver...?
Hello there people, I was wondering if someone could help me out. What would be the effect on 99.99% silver wire if you put the silvercable in a oven at 250 degrees Celsius for 1 hour and step down...
5
5

CD RW
HI, I am Saurabh Srivastava, mechanical engineering undergraduate at IITK.I am working on a case study of selecting material for CD RW. I wish to get a good database for materials properties and also...

Re: liquid mixing
What's the interest in mixing mix two different alloys as partial liquid? Use the cores and chemical inhomogenities as tracers for solidification. Initial reaction is that when you increased the size...
1
1

cavex gear
Dear Sirs, Does anyone know where to get geometry or worm of ZN (Cavex) except from Flender ? Kind regards, A.Berger

Re: Platinum heater
Measure the current. Are they failing by over-current, because the overall resistance is too high ? Or are they failing by localised over-heating, which is probably caused by a small region of high...
1
1

Re: detection gold on human body
Dangerous and unreliable: false accusations will flourish, because of spurious contaminations (by Au, but also by Cu, Ag, Sb, Pt, Pb, Bi, Hg,..., depending on the spectral instruments used). A...
47
47

solution cromated
what is coromated?
1
1

What is Galvaneel?
Does anyone know the difference between Galvaneel and galvanized sheet metal? Is it just a trade name, or do they have substantial differences in corrosion resistance?
3
3

Re: Asking the experts - Material selection for tongs
Hi, for your highly stressed application may I suggest that you discuss the applicability of Ultra High Strength Steel, with the technical support of manufacturers like the following: regards,

Cutting large pieces of Bronze
I am looking into cutting large blocks of bronze ( 3ft. x 3ft. x 2 ft. ) into smaller pieces ( each piece approx 1ft. x 1ft. x 1ft). Any suggestions on how to cut this on a continual production basis....
2
2

Electrical contact materials
I am trying to put together a selection guide for electrical contact materials gold, silver etc. could anyone recommend a good website which summarises the avaiable materials/coatings? Regards Nick