Latest threads in Metallurgy discussionsshow only best voted threads

Subject Author Posted Replies

Threshold Galling stress
could anyone provide a value for the threshold galling stress for 17-4 ph heat treated ~400Hv with Hard chromium plating ~700Hv Regards Nick
1
1

Dorr-Oliver 96 S2 Thickener
I have a client having sudden failures with several of their thicheners. The function of the thickeners is to act primarily as a wash for the tailings from the mineral processing end. Basically we...

Strongest material
Who has a good materials properties book? I am looked for the strongest known material using the following idealized test. You have a plate that is maybe 1 cm thick. The plate is arbitrarily large and...
10
10

Depleated Uranium replacement material
Found an interesting article on "'Safe' alternative to depleted uranium revealed 19:00 30 July 03 Controversial anti-tank shells tipped with depleted uranium may be phased out if an alternative...
1
1

Phase rule
In a simple binary phase diagram, according to the phase rule, #Phase + #Freedom = #Component + 1 (pressure is fixed). Then, the eutectic point will have 0 degree of freedom. Does this rule apply to a...

Thermite Welding?
Thermite is used in the welding industry. If a mass of thermite was ignited in a container underwater, would it continue to burn? Fully submerged underwater.
15
15

Re: Precious Metals
goto , IIRC. Fire assay is alive and well. Over 5000 years old and still going strong. I am not an AZ etc, I am an Okie geologist. I have one of their catalogs. Good stuff, some you can't find easily....

Re: Hounsfield Tensometer conversion
Appreciate your effort very much Dev. Thanks, I'm in Australia, so details on the transducer and displays would be fantastic. Thanks. Glenn

Re: Tempering Question
I need help in finding some information on tempering. The application is tempering Cr-Mo steels, ... and section sizes are small enough that transformation to martensite is achieved fully. What I need...

information about measurements equipment
Hi all: I need information about commercial measurement equipment for evaluate residual stresses. It must use magnetic or ultrasonics methods. I thank information about residual life in steel...

shape memory composite help
July 7,2003 Subject: Request for a PhD Project Dear Prof. I am working on my PhD in Khajeh Nasir University of Tehran. I have a Bachelor degree in Mechanics of Solids (1992) and a Master degree in...

farington uni
hey guys check this out, while surfing the net, i came across this website . this 'university' claims itself to be a 'university' and propose to give out bachelor/master/doctorate degrees ............
11
11

Metals in cooking appliances
Hello, I'm looking for examples of metals used to construct cooking appliances: 1. What kind of metal is used to design the outer shell of industrial cooking appliances? It is some sort of sheet-like...
1
1

Monazite Dilution Monitor
Do you have a need for measuring the count rate and mass flow rate of monazite? If so contact me at e-mail to for details. A monitoring solution!

General info
Im just curious where everyone is from and what are your specialities?
6
6