1996 Chevrolet Malibu

Does anyone have any ideas of how to dis-engage the Anti-Theft Ignition Kill on this car? My Mother's car started doing this a month ago, now it is on everytime you try to start the car. It has been sitting for a week now. I tried messing with any fuse marked "IGN"--nothing. And I also tried disconnecting the battery in an attempt for the electrical to re-configure, but nothing. If anyone has any ideas--I would really appreciate it before having to take it to the dealership. Thank you in advance!

Reply to
Ruben

Why not try asking in the newsgroup alt.autos.chevrolet.malibu

Hope that was of some help Jim

Reply to
Jim & Lil

Most likely it is a ECM function and there is not anything physical that you can do to prevent it. It is a bus message from "whatever" and the ECM is being told that it is in "theft mode".

I suspect the key chip has lost it's code, so until you get that fixed it will continue to do this. It will require going to the dealer and forking over a pile of money for a 30 second job to reflash your key(s).

Had a newer Grand Prix do the same thing.

JW

Reply to
jw

You're probably right

Ain't technology wonderfull !!!!

Mark

Reply to
MM

Actually, it is a bus message from the instrument cluster to the ECM.

No key chip. There is a hall effect sensor mounted in the ignition lock cylinder, the hall sensor signals to the instrument cluster at the exact correct instant that the ignition is powered up to determine whether it's an authorized start or a theft.

Nope, the repair will involve replacing the hall effect sensor in the lock cylinder (common failure). Nothing special about the keys on a 96 Malibu.

Reply to
aarcuda69062

Post your question to rec.autos.tech. Good bunch of fellows, ready to share their knowledge...

Jerry

Reply to
Jerry Foster

You might call locksmiths in your area to have them check it out. Often they will sell you a lock a whole lot cheaper than the dealer will and even key it up to match your key.

Reply to
Roger Shoaf