+5 on camtronics cnc controller setup

Can anyone tell me what the +5 signal return wires and so on are for, I am trying to assemble a kit that I purchased from Dan at Camtronics (great guy), I am new to all this so please don't laugh too hard.

Reply to
wadd

Ever look at a lamp? It takes *two* wires to make it work. One hot and one return. Its the same with any other electric or electronic device, minimum of a source and a return or it doesn't work.

Gary

Reply to
Gary Coffman

The inputs of the Gecko controllers (the step and direction signals) are optocoupler isolated. You take a pin from the parallel port for each signal (1 for step and 1 for direction). And the +5V from the PC connects to a third terminal on the Gecko controller that I think is labelled +5V or something like that.

In the optocoupler (one for each of the step and direction signals), is an LED and a light-sensitive switch. In the Gecko controller, the step or direcion signal is connected to the cathode side of the LED. The +5V is needed for the anode of the LED. When the PC drives the step and/or direction signal low, current flows from the PC's 5V through the LED and causes the LED to light inside the optocoupler. This light turns on the light-sensitve switch. When the step and/or direction signal is no longer driven low, current stops flowing through the LED and the light-sensitive switch will turn off.

This type of circuit allows the Gecko controller to be completely electrically isolated from the PC. The signal is transmitted optically from the PC to the controller. They do not need to share a common ground reference...in fact you *shouldn't* try to tie your PC's ground to the power supply grond inside the camtronics box.

There is a wiring diagram on the camtronics web site if I remember correctly....it should show everything you need. I'll post a link if I find it.

Todd

Reply to
Todd Rearick