"Tool kit" for new employee--ideas?

I'll have a new co-worker in a couple of weeks and being the "old man" of the shop I'd like to collect a "kit" of tools (shop supplied tools,
not personal) for him including things like drills, lathe bit blanks, etc. I have other ideas but want to see what ideas you guys come up with. Uh-Oh Is this considered trolling? :) Thanks.
--
Randy Replogle (Central Indiana)
Email address is legit

On Sat, 04 Sep 2004 19:59:49 GMT, "Tom Gardner"

Hi,
Just to make sense, making lists such as for example?
Cheers,
Wizard
Jason D. wrote:

"To do" lists, but more importantly "Don't do" lists, like "Don't borrow the boss' pet micrometer and let him see you using it for a C-clamp.
Jeff

(W1BSV + Brass Rat '57 EE)
Jeff Wisnia wrote: <SNIP>

It's OK if the boss doesn't see you? <G>
--
Steve Walker
snipped-for-privacy@walletverizon.net (remove wallet to reply)
Jeff Wisnia wrote:

Now how the hell are you gonna clamp anything with any kind of precision if you don't have a calibrated C-clamp??? Geez!!!!

Lists of stuff that one would forget or delay because it isn't on the list.

Well, a good one to start off with: every time you have to borrow a tool, you write it down in you notebook. After the next paycheck, when you go tool shopping, you have a better idea exactly _what_ tools you need to be looking at.
Other stuff to scribble down: Measurements.
Compound calculations
Hours worked
Machine settings
I'm sure there's other things as well.
Speaking of notebooks. I carry a 3 x 5 notebook made by J. Darling Corp., Tacoma, WA, 253-922-5000 called "Rite in the Rain" It has polyethylene covers and special treated paper that is water proof. The covers absolutely do not tear off, and you can write on the paper while it is soaking wet. They hold up extremely well riding around in my hip pocket all the time. I date each one when I start using it. I then date it again when it is full. I don't throw them away. In the front of each pad is my phone number list. Each time I start a new notebook I transfer the list, removing numbers I no longer need and alphabetizing the random numbers that accumulated from the last list. This was very useful recently when I ran over my cell phone with my van while out on the road! I find that the process of updating note books also refreshes my own memory and insures that I get things done that I have promised. I have them going back more than ten years now. My habit is to NEVER write anything down somewhere else until I've written it down in my notebook first. This way I never lose phone numbers or other important data.
I consider a notebook a sign of a good manager. Managers that don't carry and use a notebook are for the most part poor managers.
Gary H. Lucas

tool
looking
Gary H. Lucas wrote:

I know cell phones can be very annoying but just turn the thing off, you don't have to run over it. <G>
John
I use the cheap Mead or similar. I've been doing that since my first management job. I've only started keeping the filled ones for the last 5 years since I have been in business for myself. I've got the full nerd set up. Left shirt pocket: Scale in the scale pocket, flashlight, screwdriver, sharpie, pen, pencil. In that order. Same pocket behind the clippable stuff is the notebook and a Besley drill/tap chart. Right shirt pocket: Business cards, laser pointer.

tool,

stuff
Business
Do you have a pen-knife in your pocket?

Yes. Since I was 10.
'Almost lost a nice bone-handled Case at Newark airport last year, because I forgot it was there. The feds had just taken over security and they were decent guys, as well as being the only real pros I've ever seen at airport security in the US. They directed me to a place that gave away free envelopes, pointed me to a stamp machine, and then one of them escorted me down the walkway to a mail box, where I dropped it in the mail to myself.
Ed Huntress

Yep! I had the same experience with my Leatherman in the 'Vegas airport. The mailing service people were very helpful. Bob Swinney

set
screwdriver,
But of course. It is a little Buck I've had over 15 years. It has been lost and found several times. It keeps finding me. I've cut just about everything with it and it still keeps a good edge. I had an Oldtimer but when it got lost it stayed lost.
Hey Guys and Gals,
Just in case anybody here is interested:
I got an email this morning that says there will be an important meeting of the club on Wednesday September 8, 2004, at 7:30PM in Room T120 of Macomb Community College, South Campus, in Warren, Michigan.
The College is just west of Groesbeck Hwy at 12 Mile, and is bounded by 12 Mile, Hayes Rd, Martin Rd, and Bunert Rd., and the T-120 Room is in the most south-westerly building. Parking is within 100 feet of the building.
Visitors welcome.
Take care.
Brian Lawson, Bothwell, Ontario
I missed the staff meeting but the minutes show "Kath"
rec.crafts.metalworking :

    I've a clip knife in the right pocket, a leatherman on the belt.
    I also have the pens and mechanical pencils (and the 6" scales) in a Kennametal Pocket protector. I are a machinist Nerd!
tschus pyotr

--
pyotr filipivich.

stuff
Business
I got tired of the cover falling off the cheap ones, and pages falling out too. I'm very rough on them. I carry a double ended sharpie, to go along with the waterproof paper. I also carry a Leatherman Pulse. I carried a knife since I was a kid and about ten years ago a guy showed me a Leatherman. It's slightly larger and heavier than a swiss army knife, but I really find the needle nose, wire cutters, and diamond hone very useful.
Gary H. Lucas
I prefer the Gerber Multi-Tool with attachments. I think they're much better made. I keep my Leatherman in the truck.
tHAT