"Tool kit" for new employee--ideas?

Yes. Since I was 10.

'Almost lost a nice bone-handled Case at Newark airport last year, because I forgot it was there. The feds had just taken over security and they were decent guys, as well as being the only real pros I've ever seen at airport security in the US. They directed me to a place that gave away free envelopes, pointed me to a stamp machine, and then one of them escorted me down the walkway to a mail box, where I dropped it in the mail to myself.

Ed Huntress

Reply to
Ed Huntress

screwdriver,

But of course. It is a little Buck I've had over 15 years. It has been lost and found several times. It keeps finding me. I've cut just about everything with it and it still keeps a good edge. I had an Oldtimer but when it got lost it stayed lost.

Reply to
Bill Roberto

Hey Guys and Gals,

Just in case anybody here is interested:

I got an email this morning that says there will be an important meeting of the club on Wednesday September 8, 2004, at 7:30PM in Room T120 of Macomb Community College, South Campus, in Warren, Michigan.

The College is just west of Groesbeck Hwy at 12 Mile, and is bounded by 12 Mile, Hayes Rd, Martin Rd, and Bunert Rd., and the T-120 Room is in the most south-westerly building. Parking is within 100 feet of the building.

Visitors welcome.

Take care.

Brian Lawson, Bothwell, Ontario

Reply to
Brian Lawson

I used a Rite in the Rain in an WET underground mine. They are indispensable. One Caveat: Make sure you use an appropriate writing tool. It needs to be waterproof ink or a good pencil as well, or you just end up with a bunch of smears on a page.

The RitR's are available at most office supply places, at least here in the woods.

tHAT

Reply to
tHAT

I got tired of the cover falling off the cheap ones, and pages falling out too. I'm very rough on them. I carry a double ended sharpie, to go along with the waterproof paper. I also carry a Leatherman Pulse. I carried a knife since I was a kid and about ten years ago a guy showed me a Leatherman. It's slightly larger and heavier than a swiss army knife, but I really find the needle nose, wire cutters, and diamond hone very useful.

Gary H. Lucas

Reply to
Gary H. Lucas

I prefer the Gerber Multi-Tool with attachments. I think they're much better made. I keep my Leatherman in the truck.

tHAT

Reply to
tHAT

I pay other people to carry the notebook for me.

Reply to
PrecisionMachinisT

Do you also pay someone to follow you around all day holding your testicles in a warmed spoon?

Reply to
Bill Roberto

How anybody can pick up a Leatherman after squeezing a Gerber is beyond me. ;-)

Reply to
Charlie Gary

Hummmmm..how do you keep a pair of soup ladles warm all day and still walk? Sigh..it did sound fun though it migh chap my thighs a bit.

Next time I do a job in West Hollywood Ill have to ask. They know all about that sort of stuff....

Gunner

"At the core of liberalism is the spoiled child - miserable, as all spoiled children are, unsatisfied, demanding, ill-disciplined, despotic and useless. Liberalism is a philosphy of sniveling brats." -- P.J. O'Rourke

Reply to
Gunner

Yes.

She works under the table too.

Reply to
PrecisionMachinisT

Reply to
Robert Swinney

Reply to
Robert Swinney

Then I'd guess that you never worked for a major US corporation like Raytheon (or Kodak), where even Dennis Picard (the CEO) carried his own notebook which consisted of file cards! In fact, at Raytheon it was reqired of everyone above the working level of a senior engineer as a defense against memory lapses or errors. You wrote down what a subordinate had told you, and then confronted him with his own words when he failed to perform.

You would trust your personal notebook in the hands of someone else. Strange!

Harry C.

Reply to
Harry Conover

I worked for Boeing many years, but not as a manager--today I have employees take notes.

Reply to
PrecisionMachinisT

Nice set up SV. Multitasking at it's finest.

Reply to
Bill Roberto

I missed the staff meeting but the minutes show snipped-for-privacy@sympatico.ca (Jason D.) wrote back on Sat, 04 Sep 2004 21:54:08 GMT in rec.crafts.metalworking :

Lists to make: who, what and where. break times, locations of tools, etc. (Of course, I am the sort who has to write it down, or I'll forget. I may never again look at the notes, but "non scriptum, non est".) Somewhere in that notebook is a page for "scribbling", especially job numbers. "Where's the stuff for this Job?" isn't much different than walking up to the metropolitan bus terminal and asking "What time does the bus leave?" Write it down, then you are less likely to have to come back wondering "was that 6061 or 6160?" Or worse, discover after the fact that you got the wrong stock.

Write down setups. Tools needed (what size wrench, etc) Feeds, speeds, tooling, "tricks of the trade", and the `howdoyas' ("How do you ...") Use sketches. This doesn't have to be "art" just clear enough bring it back to mind.

OF course, this presumes that the note-taker is "literate". I've known some folks who couldn't write for spit. Read, yes, but their writing skills were minimal.

tschus pyotr

Reply to
pyotr filipivich

I missed the staff meeting but the minutes show "Kath" wrote back on Tue, 7 Sep 2004 00:03:26 -0400 in rec.crafts.metalworking :

I've a clip knife in the right pocket, a leatherman on the belt.

I also have the pens and mechanical pencils (and the 6" scales) in a Kennametal Pocket protector. I are a machinist Nerd!

tschus pyotr

Reply to
pyotr filipivich

I missed the staff meeting but the minutes show "tHAT" wrote back on Tue, 7 Sep 2004 23:21:10 -0700 in rec.crafts.metalworking :

I've one of each (friend works for Gerber). It's nice, but a bit "clunky" for me. Of course, I was using a Leatherman daily for about three years at work, and its been over ten years. One gets used to the way things work. But now I have a new belt pouch, which has a nice holder for such things. So I now have the Gerber on the left (with the cellphone), and the Leatherman on the right.

It is kind of funny when you whip one or the other out and "fix" something. Have tool, will travel.

tschus pyotr

Reply to
pyotr filipivich

I missed the staff meeting but the minutes show Gerald Miller wrote back on Sun, 05 Sep 2004 16:38:10 GMT in rec.crafts.metalworking :

In every outfit, there is a formal organization, and an informal organization. Twice bless is the company which has the two organizations the same. The formal organization is obvious, who has what job title, and what official responsibility. The informal organization is the one which you knows that to get a [fill in the blank], you talk to Person Y, not the person on the chart. I saw this years ago during an internship. The liaison guy couldn't get us the Company hats, but we did get hats from one of the guys we knew who also worked there.

It still is a good policy to be nice to the office staff, they can help you, or just "work to rule". But that is often something which is entirely up to the individual.

tschus pyotr

Reply to
pyotr filipivich