Subject Author Posted Replies

Can I do it to Conduit?
I have some 4 inch, grey, electrical conduit and I need to run but some portions will need to have slight bends. They want real money for 'sweeps'. I have an industrial heat gun. I can guess, too but...
47
47

Clausing 5914 chatter -- solved at last
========= As you have discovered "parting off" or cut-off is one of the more difficult lathe operations. Many people use a cut-off tool upside down from the back of the machine with good results....
32
32

Cincinnati 1 1/2 universal milling machine
I saw an add for an "old milling machine" and took a little road trip yesterday. The add was not very descriptive but since I had the day off, it's spring in Florida, and it's a very pretty country...
6
6

How to bend 1/4" steel strip
I'm making a bracket for my racing seat. I'm trying to use the original mounting holes in the car (a 96 Miata) which are angle away from each other. My plan is to get a pair of 19" x 2" x 1/4" steel...
16
16

Lettering on metal
This is an art type project. I have a 4" (1/4 inch thick) piece or art metal that I cut in the shape or a Lauburu. This is the Basque national symbol. Sort of a swastika but with rounded lobes instead...
24
24

Lathe update/questions
Hello all, It appears that my news server and reader were not happy with each other. Unless I miss my guess, Earthlink's server screwed up, and Thunderbird failed to gracefully recover. No doubt...
130
130

Very interesting homemade trailer
smart concept. i
29
29

Collets for us guys who use the tail end of the alphabet
A few of us on this earth have mills that don't use R8 collets. My old US Machine Tool Co vertical mill has a B&S #9 spindle and they often came with Collet adapters for the following double angle...

Shop cleaning
I need to clean my ceiling and rafters in a 25,000 foot building. We have 100 years of dust that the firemen and insurance people would like to see removed. One thought I had is to rent a 200 hp air...
18
18

building trailer axles
My local trailer building supply house has "high speed stub axle assemblies" with a stub 4"long and 1/3/4"in diameter made so you can build your own axles. I assume they are designed to go into some...
28
28

Metal- Colchester lube
I have a new to me lathe, a 70's Colchester-Clausing VS13. The manual specifies Shell Tellus 37 oil for the headstock reservoir and Shell Tonna T68 for the apron. I think i can put Vactra 2 into the...
6
6

What is it? CCXXVI
[ ... ] [ ... ] Well ... that depends. I have a friend who is a quite successful decorative woodturner, and he often incorporates flaws into his works -- to a very nice effect. Well ... I have two old...
23
23

Wedding ring
Someone asked earlier Video archive for the retired Metacafe site. One of the world's largest video sites, serving the best videos, funniest movies and clips.

mill vise problems--am I doing something wrong?
I have a Sherline vertical mill (the 5000 series) and I keep having a problem with my aluminum workpiece pulling loose from the mill vise. I have NEVER had very good luck getting the Sherline mill...
17
17

Plans to build a Trailer for a Motorcycle to tow?
Hey everyone, I want to build a trailer that my motorcycle can tow. I'm hoping to create it from aluminum, but I've never built ANY trailer and any and all (well, most all) suggestions from the group...
19
19