Acme screw and way lubrication

I should be getting my welded steel table Monday. Then I can reassemble my Sieg X3 mill.

What kind of common lubricant should be used on the lead screws for the table, and for the head [inside the column]?

What should be used for the ways? Sieg says SAE20 oil... Or ISO68...

Comments?

Reply to
Louis Ohland

Little Machine Shop has put together an excellent book on the minimill, meaning the X2, but I would think their recommendations would be appropriate for the X3 too. Since it's available for free download from their site I don't think they'll mind if I post an excerpt here:

"We recommend the use of two lubricants on your mill. Where oil is required, we recommend Mobil 1 synthetic motor oil. Mobil 1 far exceeds the lubrication needs of the mini mill, and maintains a good surface film between applications. Any of the available viscosities work fine. Where grease is required, we recommend Lubriplate 630-AA lithium (white) grease. Lithium grease is a plastic-friendly grease that is widely available and easy to use. "

Here's a link to the book:

"I'm not grown up enough to be so old!"

Reply to
Keith Marshall