affordable CNC with decent tolerances and speed

Which package did you go with? What size servos did you use i.e. inch-pound torque? What did you end up spending on the retrofit?

Reply to
nospam

My point was that lead screw error can be programmed out. The backlash, once measured, is entered as a parameter in the control. One of the first things I did after installing the new control was measure backlash and enter it in. Unfortunately, there is some variance in backlash over the length of the travel. But, the machine will interpolate a hole that's .0006 out of round in the approximate center of travel. Of course, you are right about a smaller machine maybe not being able to hold tight tolerances. My knee mill is 3 times heavier and aboutt 1.5 times as large as a bridgeport mill. So it is massive enough to get good accuracy on heavier parts. ERS

Reply to
Eric R Snow

I used the servos already on the machine. If you want, e-mail me and I'll send you my phone number and I'll tell you all about it. Eric

Reply to
Eric R Snow

I concur. I think the Mazaks are at least another level higher from the machines I mentioned previously and should have no troubles with your tolerance. Of course, the downside is $$$$

Reply to
skuke

Or Mori-Seki.

Gunner

" We have all heard that a million monkeys banging on a million typewriters will eventually reproduce the entire works of Shakespeare...Thanks to AOL and WebTv, we know this is not possible."

Reply to
Gunner