Alternative to MacMaster-Carr?

Google might help you. Amazon Supply is the company that Amazon has formed to sell retail quantities of tubing, nuts, bar stock, et c.
You seem rather overwhelmed by this design project. Have you considered speaking with a prototype maker? Not cheap but you seem to be really struggling with simple problems.
Dave M.
"Dave M." <marte005 frontier.com> wrote:

Yeah, I dwell on stuff. That's part of the learning process and it helps me devise stuff perfectly suited to my situation. For example... Nobody else would have devised this monitor hang adjuster for me, shown on my page.
http://www.flickr.com/photos/27532210@N04 /
"monitor hang"
I get a kick out of using that beautifully simple thing, every day.
--

> Dave M.
On Tue, 3 Apr 2012 04:12:54 +0000 (UTC), John Doe

Try amazonsupply (they used to be smallparts.com).
But McMaster is pretty good overall, especially the CAD model integration and search engine (and their fulfilment). Bad points are that they won't export to small guys and they hide the real manufacturer of almost all the stuff they sell (usually, not always, it's good stuff though).
You can get a really wide range of stuff next day for a fairly reasonable price. We place multiple orders every week with them.

yes, I do not like that McMaster doesn't tell you the mfgr. either. However, at least for drill bits, taps, etc. I have not yet been disappointed by poor quality, so there's that too (I think the last tap I ordered was Greenlee, not sure about drill bits. I think Chicago-Latrobe?)
nate

I've not been disappointed with their cutting tools, and after my last experience with K*C's service (never got the product, so can't compare)... don't feel like trying too hard.
One issue with them hiding the manufacturer is that it's impossible to see what the detailed specifications and caveats really are on complex items- you're stuck with their very limited description and a few specs. Even Harbor Freight lets you download the manual so you can get a better idea if it will do what you want. But if they gave you the real manufacturer's part number it would make it easier to shop around I guess.. still I don't think most commercial customers would bother.. it's more important to get the stuff quickly at a reasonable price than to get rock bottom pricing.
On 4/3/2012 12:37 PM, Spehro Pefhany wrote: ...

If you really have such demanding requirements, there is the <gasp!> telephone.
If you're just like most, the most likely purpose is essentially that of those who use Best Buy/local retailer as a showroom then go online and let the brick'n mortar place eat the inventory and storefront overhead. Not exactly straight-up.
McMaster-Carr doesn't provide a specific manufacturer on generic items because they buy in bulk from multiple suppliers and resell; it would be yet another overhead cost to add yet another layer of bookkeeping and database management to the cogs.
IMO, if you want a particular manufacturer, find a distributor that rep's that manufactuer; don't blame the general distributor that makes no claims other than a general specification.

On Tue, 3 Apr 2012 04:12:54 +0000 (UTC), John Doe

Sure- amazon. Of course they don't have the selection, the quality, or the knowledge. . . . customer service wise, they might be equal. . . shipping is a little slower on amazon. . . but they have a snazzy website, so that should do it.
Jim
Jim Elbrecht <elbrecht email.com> wrote:

Actually, looks like there are a few other possibilities that stock some of the same products, for significantly less money.

In other words... You're a fan boy that cannot shop anyplace else. Having someone hold your hand is better than finding your way on your own. Don't run so fast Johnny! You might fall and hurt yourself! Shopping elsewhere is just too difficult.
That's the way it is, doing things differently is annoying when you are set in your ways. That is especially true with computer stuff. Once you learn it, you don't want to change.

Not having some strange seemingly arbitrary limit on browsing might do it. But apparently I can get the same quality aluminum stock much cheaper elsewhere, so the effort is not wasted. There is little need for technical help ordering pieces of aluminum.
So there's no comparable place to shop, in your opinion? I guess you don't do comparison shopping, then.
"Don't rock the boat, baby!"
--

> Jim
John Doe wrote:

Jeez ... calm down

MSC and Grainger are the usual suspects.
plausible, and wrong." (H L Mencken)

What on earth are you talking about? I've visited their site dozens of times, and never had any problems with it at all.
That you haven't experienced the same is practically meaningless. Maybe you click slow as molasses. Anyway... I provided a quote of the error message. Take a look.
Doug Miller <doug_at_milmac_dot_com example.com> wrote:

posting-host="p++YVkttPdK0gshfu4k5Zw"; logging-data="28065"; mail-complaints-to="abuse eternal-september.org"; posting-account="U2FsdGVkX19wLO5GGVsH7wOZorgeUyrm"

Yes, but not what you did to provoke it, other than a general description.
I didn't provoke anything. And I did provide a description of how the error might be reproduced, in another post, if you can read.
Doug Miller <doug_at_milmac_dot_com example.com> wrote:

posting-host="p++YVkttPdK0gshfu4k5Zw"; logging-data="28065"; mail-complaints-to="abuse eternal-september.org"; posting-account="U2FsdGVkX1/AOtNfCKSWDdxgILm8f8On"

Obviously you did, if you can think.

And it didn't work, as I said in another post, if you can read.
I provided the error message, fan boy wanker...
Doug Miller <doug_at_milmac_dot_com example.com> wrote:

88.198.244.100> <jlfrj7$rs9$2 dont-email.me> <XnsA02AB7769B52Ddougmilmaccom 88.198.244.100> <jlfs5f$rs9$4 dont-email.me>

posting-host="p++YVkttPdK0gshfu4k5Zw"; logging-data="28065"; mail-complaints-to="abuse eternal-september.org"; posting-account="U2FsdGVkX1/MMbIrauSdOkneAHaZRwtU"

Really helpful response to some one that WAS originally trying to help you. jk
On Tue, 3 Apr 2012 21:54:47 +0000 (UTC), John Doe

posting-host="p++YVkttPdK0gshfu4k5Zw"; logging-data="28065"; mail-complaints-to="abuse eternal-september.org"; posting-account="U2FsdGVkX19wLO5GGVsH7wOZorgeUyrm"

Goodness John, all this rhetoric simply to tell the world what an exceedingly rapid clicker you are?
Is this an exercise in ego building? To demonstrate that you actually click faster then the average?
What is next? A tryout on the Guinness World Records, in the fast clicker's section. -- Cheers,
John B.
Of course not, troll. I wasn't clicking very fast. Apparently it objects to the type of input (what you are doing), not just the speed.
John B. <johnbslocomb gmail.com> wrote:

posting-host="xiVQZc8eJws8DMbespNAPw"; logging-data="26032"; mail-complaints-to="abuse eternal-september.org"; posting-account="U2FsdGVkX18LoN7qpd09kkptzrI4GlwPiK6WcjDF3OE="

posting-host="p++YVkttPdK0gshfu4k5Zw"; logging-data="28065"; mail-complaints-to="abuse eternal-september.org"; posting-account="U2FsdGVkX19wLO5GGVsH7wOZorgeUyrm"

I buy a lot from McMaster Carr and I clik rather fast. I have never seen the effect that you are describing.