Anti WI-FI Paint

This new paint might have some applications in the shop.

Sounds as if it may be a cheap and easy way to provide emi shielding for the electronic controls in machines.

By painting a solution containing our magnetic particles on the walls, you would quickly, and effectively, shield the room from stray electromagnetic radiation from outside."

Best Regards Tom.

Reply to
azotic

Interesting...

I worked in radio/RF long enough to learn that shielding is a lot more difficult than it appears to be. Keep in mind that every lead/wire going in and out of the area acts as an antenna too. We had a "screen room" where we could work on pagers, cell phones, stuff that had transmitters on the air all the time. Hard to troubleshoot a receiver when it is getting bombarded with RF from a 250 watt paging base in the corner of the building. The door on the room looked like something you would find on a bank vault. Great conversation piece. Almost everyone (lay person) that ever saw it wanted to know what it was for.

Reply to
Leon Fisk

Yep! double wall copper screen and RF weatherstriping on the door. Great big filter on the power leads into it. :-) Looks strange to the uninitiated. It's been a few (more than a few) years. ...lew...

Reply to
Lewis Hartswick

I know my uncles metal roof and aluminum siding just about makes a cell phone useless.

I know just having a metal roof with no metal siding has made hitting the repeater 20 miles away with a j pole in the corner of the room off of my FT-50 hand held impossible. Used to work great before I put the metal roof on.

I also don't think you need magnetic particles, I think you need a continous skin of conductive material. Look up Faraday cage.

Wes

Wes

On Mon, 05 Oct 2009 15:34:09 -0600, the infamous Lewis Hartswick scrawled the following:

Uh, guys, since when have aluminum oxide particles been magnetic?

Oh, pardon me. It's "aluminum-iron oxide". Hmm, isn't that Thermite?

What are these guys up to, y'spose?

-- The reasonable man adapts himself to the world; the unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore, all progress depends on the unreasonable man. -- George Bernard Shaw

Reply to
Larry Jaques

There has to be a financial opportunity here, with the introduction of a new RF-proof caulking, similar to the product marketed as fire-stop caulking.

-- WB ......... metalworking projects

Wild_Bill

OH! The first time I read this thread the link didn't open in a long time so I didn't read it. Just reminisced about the screen room at HRB. Now I see what you mean.:-) It doesn't sound like it would do much "screening" at least over most of the spectrum. It may have some resonance phenomena that could be "somewhat" effective at a particular frequency BUT I have serious reservations. :-) Sounds like a typical "news reporter misapplication" of information. ...lew...

Reply to
Lewis Hartswick