Any Hams here?

Look at www.QRZ. It has all the questions used on all the ham tests.

First find out when and where you can take the tests. Then start going to QRZ everyday and take one or more practice tests. You may have a month or so before you can take the tests. I do not know how it is everywhere, but back in Washington State it was one cost regardless of how many tests you took. Since I had a month or so before i could take the tests, I just practised all the tests. And then when I took the tests, i just took them all. No point in just taking the technician class test.

Incidentally there is no more requirement to take a code test. So you do not need to work on that.

Dan

Reply to
dcaster

Some of us cut our teeth on that old tube gear. Some of that group can still take a piece of sheet metal, and build a radio around it from scratch. I enjoy repairing old gear, and have since the mid '60s. I built my first radio from a kit when I was eight. This approach isn't for everyone, but some of us have experience from '20s radios, all the way to DSP based deep space telemetry equipment.

You have to be kidding. This area is all appliance operators who bought imported radios when they retired & moved south. They can't even solder a mic plug. I doubt it's much better where Gunner lives. I know a former broadcast engineer in his area, and he can't even buy repair parts where he lives. He couldn't even find a decent video cable with BNC connectors.

Reply to
Michael A. Terrell

Do you have a manual with the schematic?

I am interested in higher frequency gear. I had my fill of HF when I was a broadcast engineer. I was working with FQPSK at up to 11 GHz when I was laid off at Microdyne and ended up being declared disabled.

Reply to
Michael A. Terrell

Gunner Asch on Tue, 26 Mar 2013 01:12:16 -0700 typed in rec.crafts.metalworking the following:

Any time you say "now this happened about N (where N is in the sequence 20, 30 , 40, ...) years ago.." and you stop and realized "Hell fire, it was N years ago!"

As my Dad said "Fifty nine's not a bad age, but sixty just sounds old!" Course, he said something similar when he was sixty nine. And Seventy nine. I'll have to say it for him, this year.

pyotr

pyotr filipivich