Any Hams here?

Hell, even the simple printers nowadays have more power than main computers did way back then.

I ordered a $59 pack of 4 toner bottles/chips to rebuild my Samsung CLP-600N color laser cartridges. I much prefer its output to my old dot matrix. It's also somewhat quieter and faster.

Reply to
Larry Jaques

Scale it up as needed.

Reply to
Steve W.

Indeed. And didnt need a polar relay.

  1. Lie
Gunner

Cool! Got a link?

Gunner

  1. Lie
Gunner

"DoN. Nichols" fired this volley in news: snipped-for-privacy@Katana.d-and-d.com:

You're about two days late with that suggestion, Don .

Remember the Heath "CanTenna"?

At up to 10M, the light bulb works as an OK load, if not completely 'tunable' Add one small air-wound coil and a few puffs of capacitance, and it can tune darned well.

LLoyd

Reply to
Lloyd E. Sponenburgh

"Steve W." fired this volley in news:kie5ie$j23$1 @dont-email.me:

'course, with all those old gouging rods he has lying around unused, he could make a _real_ carbon-pile dummy load...

Lloyd

Reply to
Lloyd E. Sponenburgh

I do have about 40 lbs of carbon gouging rods. Bit hard to solder them together though. Could make a couple plates with holes and set screws though...

  1. Lie
Gunner

Google on morse code decoder. Here is one link I found.

Dan

Reply to
dcaster

The old ARRL Handbooks had information on dummy loads. IIRC, they included instructions on making them.

Most public libraries have copies of old Handbooks. You'll find lots of useful things in those that's just skipped over today.

Reply to
Ed Huntress

Gunner fired this volley in news: snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com:

'bit useless, too. Think about it. IF not all, then most of the copper cladding would have to be removed...

Lloyd

Reply to
Lloyd E. Sponenburgh

That's an easy lathe job and you could pause to measure the increasing DC resistance. jsw

Reply to
Jim Wilkins

"Jim Wilkins" fired this volley in news:kif5c6$cbf $ snipped-for-privacy@dont-email.me:

Yeah, I didn't say it would be hard, just necessary. And soldering straps to the cladding would be easy, not "hard".

Mounting would have to be compliant, to accommodate expansion. I think clamping one end, and leaving the other end 'flying' would be best. Braid for connex.

Lloyd

Reply to
Lloyd E. Sponenburgh

Take a look at

The Heathkit dummy load was good for a kilowatt for a limited time, but you probably do not need a dummy load for that much power.

You might be able to use one of your carbon gouging rods, but would need to take off the copper except at the ends and probably drill a hole thru the center to raise the resistance. That would also help with skin effect. Might be fun to try.

Dan

Reply to
dcaster

I haven't taken a ham test in 40 years, but, as I recall, it's a lot like a driver's license test. Not much about whether you can drive a car, but mostly about knowing the rules.

The electronics is trivial for anybody with any experience at all. But it's useful to practice the questions so you can interpret what they really ask.

As for the dummy load, what are you gonna do with it. If all you want to do is see power, a light bulb works fine. If your emissions are in the band and used under the terms of your license, you're good to go. Just pick a dead spot in the band and keep it short.

The complexity goes up from there. Go to any ham swap meet and you'll probably find a boatload of dummy loads for sale. Just take the meter and check the resistance. Hams are people... and people can't be trusted to tell you that it's blown.

There are zillions of nice resistors mounted on big heat sinks used as circulator loads and in cellular base stations. Those show up at swap meets in the 100W range for $15 or so. Nice, small, no oil, excellent high frequency characteristics. But take the meter.

Ham radio is just like any hobby. If you're impatient, you'll spend a lot of money. If you troll the swap meets and garage sales, you can pick up most stuff dirt cheap. Be patient. Go to ham club meetings.

Ham radio is mostly dead for reasons stated elsewhere in the thread. Every damn QSO is about the weather, the rig, then nothing left to talk about. Interweb news groups are much more entertaining these days.

You'll have more fun talking to locals on the uhf frequencies.

Reply to
mike

If you have an old windows PDA or phone, this is a nice program

You can set it next to the speaker and it copies a bunch of modes. Can send too, but it's a little flakey without a direct wired cable to the rig.

Reply to
mike

are these carbon rods something that can be used to make a carbon arc lamp?

Reply to
Cydrome Leader

Cydrome Leader fired this volley in news:kiffcg $88h$ snipped-for-privacy@reader2.panix.com:

Well, considering that their purpose in life is to make an... uh... Carbon Arc... Yeah, I'd guess you could.

I don't know what effect the cladding has, but it's easily removed.

(you got the voltage-actuated servos all built?) Lloyd

Reply to
Lloyd E. Sponenburgh

The cladding is copper. it burns off at the arc end and serves to reduce the resistance so the power is in the arc, not in conducting thru the rod.

Dan

Reply to
dcaster

Thanks!