Any parts of a LASERJET 5Si that can be salvaged?

That's the real answer.

I still have a cigar box of parts from an old Wang word processor circa

1967 laying around here somewhere. Lots of interesting stuff in there. I kept most of it in bigger boxes that gradually got thrown out until all I have left is the cigar box, mostly odd springs and metal screws.

I did not use a single part from that Wang in oll the time I kept them. Not a spring, not a screw, not a shaft or a motor or a washer.

-Frank

Reply to
Frank J Warner

Yep, they are good for that, but you'll be very hard pressed to find one that has a total page count of over 150,000. Anybody that's going to be printing a lot of pages would have used a LaserJet 4. I've had some that exceeded 400,000 total pages. The LaserJet 4 was the only really reliable and bulletproof printer HP ever made. Slow as cat shit, but indestructible.

Rita

Reply to
Rita Ä Berkowitz

I use a 6MP daily (graphic design business). I went from a 4 to 6. Wish printers were as bulletrpoof as these. Can't ever see getting rid of it until it somehow fails.

Reply to
Kurt

That's often my experience with some of the junk I save.. but ain't it great when you happen to have just the odd thing you need?

John

Reply to
JohnM

My experience is that I don't need any of the junk I've saved until the day after I've thrown it out.

Loren

Reply to
LPV

Large UPSes are a gold mine. I made a few hundred $$ from disassembling and selling parts from large UPSes that no one wanted even for free. And besides, I am left with a pile of nice screws and electrical pieces like terminals etcd.

Ignoramus11275

Monitors and TV's typically have a good assortment of power semiconductors, not to mention all sorts of capacitors and other parts. I tend to pull the boards out of anything I scrap and salvage parts from them as needed.

Reply to
James Sweet

Using a 6 mp here too. Getting on 8 or 10 years old and still going strong. Also, the toner seems to last forever and the drum rarely needs replacing. FAR better than some other printers around here that scream for a new drum and toner what seems like every other week. I hadn't thought about it but I should search for another one used as this has been about the only printer that I feel has given me more than my money's worth over the years.

A note on the original post about salvaging parts from old printers...Many years ago when electronic calculators suddenly became affordable, Boeing Surplus started selling the old monster mechanical calculators for a buck a piece. I was about 12 at the time and a buck for one of those 80 pound boat anchors kept me busy for a couple of weeks after school disassembling and scrounging cool parts. I learned more about assemblymethods and general mechanical stuff from that than just about any other source.

I know that old printers/copiers are cheap as dirt (free often) and can be used the same way, although they don't have quite as many parts as those old calculators. I've had my daughter take apart a couple of similar things as a learning experience (help dad by salvaging parts). Any other ideas on cheap mechanical junk that is readily available and may be a great learning experience for the mechanical kid to monkey around with?

Koz

Reply to
Koz

Anything. My #1 son is a "take apart junkie." he takes his wagon out bright and early every monday morning to find stuff to bring home and dismantle. We've done toasters, VCR's, tape recorders, toys - all kinds of stuff. Last week we did an aqua-pic and a hose sprayer that had an adjustable flow thingy. A 35mm camera was cool - about a gazillion parts crammed into a 3 x 5" box. Amazing to me, who can't seem to even fit all our clothes into the closet.

If you've got no pride, just pick up anything but a TV (unless you know how to discharge the cap) from the garbage and give it a go.

Angrie.Woman

Any TV that's been sitting for a week won't have a charge in it.

NSM

BULLSHIT! Put your tongue on the HV lead of the flyback transformer six months after you unplugged it and you'll probably piss all over yourself if you are lucky..

Rita

Reply to
Rita Ä Berkowitz

I've never considered pissing all over myself to be a lucky thing..

Reply to
JohnM

I think the alternative is having your heart stop from the shock.

Angrie.Woman

Compared to the alternatives, I would.

Reply to
Clint Sharp

Nonsense. It's not the lead that's dangerous, it's the tube which might have a charge although that's most unlikely. A quick whack with a clip lead will empty that. 1 minute after, maybe. 6 months, no way.

NSM

Depends mostly on the quality of the rectifier, and on whether there are any bleeding resistors or voltage dividers. Give a vacuum type HV rectifier and no bleeding resistors it should be easily possible that a picture tube retains high voltage for weeks.

Reply to
maarten

Sigh. And since my original post was that a child should not take apart a TV unless a grown-up knows how to discharge the thing that holds the charge...it is likely we're all in agreement essentially.

Angrie.Woman

How about if I just don't put my tongue on electrical stuff, then I won't have to be thankful for pissing myself;-)

I think I just don't ever want to be thankful for that..

John

Reply to
JohnM

A while back I read in a tabloid about a man who had a nasty accident after he left a bar drunken in the early hours. He was walking home with a few mates when he needed to relieve himself. His mates dared him to pee off the parapet of a railway bridge, which he did. Apparently his stream of urine hit the 25 kV overhead wire which supplied the trains, and he had a difficult job explaining the situation to a doctor at the hospital when he came to.

Chris

Reply to
Christopher Tidy

Completely off topic, but would you happen to know if "Quackenbush" (Quackenbos?, Kwakkenbos?) means anything in Dutch?

Thanks.

R, Tom Q.

Reply to
Tom Quackenbush