Any parts of a LASERJET 5Si that can be salvaged?

When I was five years old my dad was less than impressed when I took his pocket watch apart.

Reply to
BrotherBart

And just think what it would go for on eBay today!

Angrie.Woman

One of my favorite episodes of the Beverly Hillbillies was Jethro sticking his tongue into the light socket to show Ellie May "What the big old dumb bear" would do.

NSM

That's the LEAST of your worries. Ever seen a picture tube implosion?

NSM

I'd do it, I pretty regularly touch flyback HV leads, there's nothing in the flyback that can store a charge, the tube itself does that. A B&W monitor or a vacuum tube TV chassis can hold a charge for quite some time, but a solid state color set has a focus divider that'll discharge the HV within minutes. It's still always wise to ground the anode just in case though.

Reply to
James Sweet

Well that's certainly true, though mostly due to the implosion hazard.

Reply to
James Sweet

You sure don't want to touch the ungrounded coating on a picture tube a minute after switchoff while standing in a second story window. True story.

NSM

Maybe the name of a location. As a word it has no real meaning.

Reply to
maarten

Ah, only now I see your name... I don't know about it's etimology. It could have something to do with ducks and wood, maybe your ancestors lived near a ducktrap. I guess that's not too good an explanation...

Reply to
maarten

On Sat, 25 Jun 2005 02:14:10 GMT, the opaque "NSM" spake:

I liked ANY episode with Ellie May in it. And FYI, I'm a MaryAnn kinda guy, too. Hmmm, speaking of sticking tongues into things...

P.S: Can we get any further OT?

----- = Dain Bramaged...but having lots of fun! =

Comprehensive Website Development

Reply to
Larry Jaques

True...PC monitors seem to be a different story, in my experience.

Tom

Reply to
Tom MacIntyre

Here I am with my story again...

We have, most of us, tongue-tested a 9 volt battery, I think. I once, foolishly, tested a 10.6 VDC, 850 mA cellular telephone charger. Big mistake... :-)

Tom

Reply to
Tom MacIntyre

My dad was a very good backyard mechanic, but for some reason didn't get into the more intricate stuff. One sunny summer Saturday morning, I placed a sheet of plywood on the ground, removed the Carter BBD (I think) carburator from the 225 slant-six motor in the 1965 Dodge Polara station wagon he was preparing for the road, and stripped it down on the sheet of plywood. My dad had worked a backshift, and at about 1130 or so came outside, and turned white as a sheet. He said, "Are you sure you can get that thing back together?" I assured him that I could, and I did, and the car lived to ride again. :-)

I still don't understand why a man who could strip down a motor or transmission, install new rings, valves, etc., had a problem with a carburator...I couldn't rebuild a motor to save my own life, but I've rebuilt a number of carburators...strange.

Tom

Reply to
Tom MacIntyre

I always have a story. In high school, I took a year of beginning electronics.

During the first week, out teacher opened up a TV to show us how much power was still present even though the the set was unplugged. He then proceeded to show us how to discharge the thing that held the charge. Apparently, using a borrowed screwdriver that had a crack in the handle is not the proper way.

Angie

Reply to
Angrie.Woman

With solid state-uP based sets, the proper way involves the slow draining of the voltage/current anyway...through a high-value resistor.

One time we were sending a bunch of CRT's back to the manufacturer for proof-of- replacement one time, and my wife was labelling them. She was wearing a knitted sweater, and the sleeve brushed against the 2nd anode. She wasn't pleased with the result. The CRT had been sitting for weeks to months...

Tom

Reply to
Tom MacIntyre

A little word of advice to the technically curious youngsters out there. NEVER use your mother the beautician's professional diamond coated nail file to deburr the driveshaft of the lawn mower engine you are rebuilding.

It makes your butt hurt really bad.

Reply to
BrotherBart

And I'm mighty cautious of microwave ovens.

NSM

I have a question. If I put a cellphone in a microwave oven, close the door, call the number....should it ring?

Angrie.Woman

Why is it that I feel the need to ask "Did it?"?

Reply to
BrotherBart

If it does I'd fix it or toss it.

NSM