Any parts of a LASERJET 5Si that can be salvaged?

What is the arc distance for dry air, 12kV per inch or something like that? I definitely wouldn't be trying it with 25kV. :-)

Tom

Reply to
Tom MacIntyre

For my wife's Diplomat microwave oven and my Nokia cellular telephone, the answer is yes. :-)

Tom

Reply to
Tom MacIntyre

They are probably well-insulated for their own particular frequency.

Tom

Reply to
Tom MacIntyre

Dielectric absorption is one of the factors that the Sencore LC line of capacitor/inductor testers measures. Thanks.

Tom

Reply to
Tom MacIntyre

TV discharge is easy. A stick with a nail in the end, that has a wire attached that is 'clipped' to the metal chassis. The nail is (when holding the wood stick - and insulated nicely (broom stick...) is slid under the HV plug. The arc will be under the plug cap and should be heard. e.g. if not - try again and wiggle around. Once done, or decided not needed - then the nail on stick is used (still attached - just in case) - and is hammered - slightly - through the metal seal that serves as the high voltage connector. Air flow will follow. Allow a slow flow. Breaking rapidly might implode the 'tube' end through the screen. So that is the reason to punch it with a nail. (or punch...)

Naturally, it is a hasmat item - lead in the glass, phosphor in the screen, metals in the metals... Best to be left alone.

Martin

Reply to
lionslair at consolidated dot

I remember getting 'bitten' by an electric fence on which I played a stream of water from a garden hose, as a kid. The charger was the 'pulsed' type which used a 6v battery, inductor and 'balance beam' switcher for power. The hose had no nozzle on it, so I was using my finger to direct the spray. The distance was only a few feet, and the jolt was roughly comparable to touching the fence directly--it was never too effective even with direct contact...

jak

Reply to
jakdedert