Anyone familiar with early hydraulic steering systems?

It's a gear-within pump. Last year I performed a crude test by disconnecting the high pressure hose and briefly turning the engine over using the starter motor. Oil came out. Hopefully I'll have chance to investigate tomorrow, and I'm going to pursue the airlock theory first. Will let you know how it goes.

By the way, why do vane pumps perform poorly at low speeds? Is it because the vane sealing is poorer due to reduced centrifugal force? Just curious...

Best wishes,

Chris

Reply to
Christopher Tidy

Thanks for that useful extract. It's the integral valve type. Will let you know when I make progress (or otherwise).

Best wishes,

Chris

Reply to
Christopher Tidy

Reply to
Don Young

Today I spent more time investigating the problem. First I checked that the pump is delivering oil. It works fine. Then I refitted the replacement cylinder which I got from a friend, having cleaned it and checked that the valve mechanism isn't seized. Then I started the digger, lifted the front wheels and cranked the steering back and forth several times. When I lowered the front wheels the steering still didn't work, so I topped up the oil. Then I lifted the front end and cranked the steering through several more full cycles (must have been about 10 in total). The steering still didn't work, although I did get the impression that there might be a bit of steering force now and then. But I couldn't really tell. It might just have been that I hauled the wheel especially hard, or that one wheel hit a rut, or something. I managed to transplant a small tree with the machine even though the steering isn't working. Every time I needed to turn I had to lift the front wheels, but fortunately this is easy on a digger. I really want this fixed, though, and I'm tempted to start calling spares places looking for a replacement cylinder. So far I've reached the following conclusions:

(i) the pump is fine (ii) the oil level is fine (iii) there isn't an airlock

So the problem must be either:

(i) the piston seal, or (ii) the valve mechanism

The shaft seal on the cylinder doesn't leak. I would have thought that if the piston seal was leaking, there would still be quite a noticeable steering force present. But I can't really see what can be wrong with the valve mechanism, except possibly a broken spring. The mechanism isn't seized and returns to the central position when the steering forced is removed. Looking into the ports of the original and replacement cylinders, the valve mechanisms do look slightly different (different spool positions), but nothing looks obviously broken. Any ideas what the likely culprit is?

Tom, if you do get chance to scan the exploded diagram I'd be most grateful. At the moment the workings of the valve mechanism are a bit of a mystery!

As I said, I'm tempting to start looking for a replacement. As I have two cylinders, I should theoretically be able to make a working cylinder, but it's a pig of a job. The valve mechanism needs special tools to disassemble. I guess I could make the tools but I'm not sure it's worth it.

Thanks for all the help.

Chris

Reply to
Christopher Tidy

Reply to
Don Young

Thanks for the message. I have a spare pump which I might try dismantling; I'm reluctant to take the original pump apart just yet. It would tell me if there is a pressure relief valve inside the pump. I'm not that suspicious of the pump because, as I mentioned, the steering worked before I fitted a new cylinder. I doubt that blocking off the outlet will put a noticeable load on the engine or stop the starter turning it over; the starter can raise the front end loader without too much trouble, and that weighs a ton or more.

Thanks for the help,

Chris

Reply to
Christopher Tidy