Anyone heard about this bad virus?

I just wanted to say thanks to everyone who posted comments about the virus I posted about. It turns out that my friend did indeed recieve a hijacked email. Even though it looked like it came from his friend with pictures of his dogs his friend had not sent my friend that email, instead, he had sent it to someone else and somewhere along the line the email was hijacked. And also, when my friend clicked on the message about whether to put the virus in a vault that was when the virus did its dirty work. It's nice to be able to get some good info from several folks about things which I don't know so much about. Niether does my friend. When I told him what I read in the posts he confirmed it all because that's what the computer repair place told him. Eric

Reply to
etpm

There also isn't as much of the "If this is executable, let's run it and *then* ask the user whether he *wants* it to run." philosophy. And things which are executable, but don't *look* executable, such as ".scr" (screensaver) files. And, based on some virus e-mails which I have received, also you can have something with an extension for something like an image (e.g. ".jpg", which actually is a ".exe" file (as determined by the "magic numbers" embedded, and apparently, the e-mail program does not pay attention to the extension and pass it to the proper program, but instead tries to execute it, depending on the system to pass it to the proper program -- thus cheerfully running the virus for you. :-) (Yes, I have seen these, but I don't use Windows to read e-mail -- or do much of anything else. :-)

Enjoy, DoN.

Reply to
DoN. Nichols