B&S #2 horizontal mill

I just picked up a B&S #2 horizontal mill and have a question about the main lever that you throw to spin up the cutter. Is this lever suppose to click back into the off position if you let go as a safety measure so you don't leave the machine running unattended? In other words do you have to hold this lever in the engaged mode in order to operate the machine I don't know know the age of the machine at this point. This machine is running really well and as far as I can tell every think is working properly I haven't come across any documentation yet so I thought I'd as this group.

Thanks

Reply to
jfisher

The lever should stay where you put it without holding it in place. A machinist has other duties to which he/she must attend and should not be bound to holding a handle in order for a machine to function. If it doesn't stay where you place it, there's something wrong.

Harold

Reply to
Harold and Susan Vordos

Got a serial number? I can look it up and get an approximate vintage for you. If the lever is a clutch it should stay engaged. Is this an open flat belt machine or enclosed gear drive? Can you post a picture or link to something similar? "Honest" Al Babin

Reply to
Honest A Babin