Bad experience at work today--

Tippy little bastards, aren't they. In hindsight, of course it should have been bolted to a concrete slab twice its mounting width the whole time. Plywood just wouldn't do.

Yeah, the old one-of-four problem. The idea is, though, that these should be bolted to the machine mounts, not simply placed under. They must be part of the machine during transit.

At Aerophysics they "installed" the Clausing 15 inch lathe by dragging it in with a ratchet winch off the end wall. They probably put an eye bolt in the wall near the floor near the desired position of the corner, and pulled on that corner.

I know what that feels like. At least you jumped away instead of trying to catch it and getting perforated by the cross feed handle.

You are about to recondition a lathe after a fall. You'll learn how to straighten that shaft on the arbor press to about a mil of runout, and how to scrape surfaces straight. This will make you an even better machinist.

I lost 17 when I went from the little white tablets to the little blue capsules. Was that ever a productive month! Now, it's like three is not enough and I get a bit silly, and four is too damn many. The pharmacist says seven of the half-strength capsules should be juuuuuust riiiiiiight.

Shit happens. Just don't ever quit.

That's one of the best uses of an open forum. Not too much about nuts and bolts, please, let's keep a sense of adventure and drama if we can.

Likewise, when you delete the final version of the annual report, the bezel on the monitor does not suddenly change color. Nobody knows anything unless you tell them. Spin doctor to the machine lab, stat!

Yours,

Doug Goncz (at aol dot com) Replikon Research

Read the RIAA Clean Slate Program Affidavit and Description at

will be signing an amended Affidavit soon.

Reply to
Doug Goncz

Tonight..I did a bad thing.

I dumped a pantograph on its side.

The hoisting gear broke, and it rather gently fell over on its side. Breaking the tables crossfeed casting on one side. Which is fixable..but it bent the cross feed screw.

Damnit.

Anyone know the best way to straighten an acme lead screw?

Gunner

"Anyone who cannot cope with firearms is not fully human. At best he is a tolerable subhuman who has learned to wear shoes, bathe and not make messes in the house." With appologies to RAH..

Reply to
Gunner

Hmm, bummer Gunner. Is the the screw by chance a standard size where you can buy another from MSC and machine the ends to fit? I don't think it will ever be right if you try and straighten it....

Real bummer.....

Gunner wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com:

Reply to
Marty Escarcega

I'm no expert in straightening acme lead screws, but wouldn't you save thread distortion if you used acme halfnuts secured onto the v blocks?

Reply to
Rick Chamberlain