band brake lining material - anybody know 'sources' for the stuff?

anybody know where to aquire band brake -lining- material? prefer a single piece approx 3/4 inch wide by 24 inches long, roughly .1875 thick
or thereabouts. web searches futile so far...
http://machines.pandela.net/winch_arrived/photos/photo2.html winch_arrived02.jpg
am I gonna end up just "liquid nails, heavy duty for construction" gluing a piece of old leather belt to the inside of the brake band?
thanks for your help, guys
toolie
ps - "asbestos infested" or "non-asbestos" probably fine for my needs
- - replies by e-mail, if any, please remove the weirdstuff from my address before you click 'send' - thanks :-) - -
forgot to add the image link for this one, too: http://machines.pandela.net/winch_arrived/photos/photo2.html
dave wrote:

Mcmaster.com has several different types in 1" width. Search on "brake lining".
Randy

That is an interesting question. What sort of adhesive works best for gluing friction material to steel. I know cyanoacrylates let go at about 250F or so iirc so that would be a bad choice. I glued a piece of shim stock to the knee gib on my bridgeport and it was not thick enough. A bit of time in the kitchen oven and that came off.
So you chemists on the list, what would be a good choice?
Wes

In the trade, they use phenolics; and bake the old shoes to maybe 350 C to get them off.

Firms that supply vintage car restorers might be able to help. I once had some for Ford Model T brakes, and used part of it to reline the shoes of a 1962 Norton motorcycle.
Steve R.
--
Return address munged to bugger up spammers

On Thu, 16 Aug 2007 12:40:54 -0400, with neither quill nor qualm, dave

I used to be friends with the local brake shop owners and they'd do stuff like that for me for $10 or $20. I turned my own drums and rotors on their brake lathes for $5 a pop. Chances are good that your local independent brake shop will do it for fairly cheap, riveting and the right sort of lining. Check it out before you waste a day on a (possibly) bad fix.
-- Seen on a bumper sticker: ARM THE HOMELESS

where abouts are you m8?