band brake lining material - anybody know 'sources' for the stuff?

anybody know where to aquire band brake -lining- material? prefer a single piece approx 3/4 inch wide by 24 inches long, roughly .1875 thick or thereabouts. web searches futile so far...

winch_arrived02.jpg

am I gonna end up just "liquid nails, heavy duty for construction" gluing a piece of old leather belt to the inside of the brake band?

thanks for your help, guys

toolie

ps - "asbestos infested" or "non-asbestos" probably fine for my needs

- - replies by e-mail, if any, please remove the weirdstuff from my address before you click 'send' - thanks :-)

- -

Reply to
dave

dave

Mcmaster.com has several different types in 1" width. Search on "brake lining".

Randy

Reply to
Randal O'Brian

That is an interesting question. What sort of adhesive works best for gluing friction material to steel. I know cyanoacrylates let go at about

250F or so iirc so that would be a bad choice. I glued a piece of shim stock to the knee gib on my bridgeport and it was not thick enough. A bit of time in the kitchen oven and that came off.

So you chemists on the list, what would be a good choice?

Wes

Reply to
Wes

In the trade, they use phenolics; and bake the old shoes to maybe 350 C to get them off.

Reply to
Newshound

Firms that supply vintage car restorers might be able to help. I once had some for Ford Model T brakes, and used part of it to reline the shoes of a

1962 Norton motorcycle.

Steve R.

Reply to
Steve R.

On Thu, 16 Aug 2007 12:40:54 -0400, with neither quill nor qualm, dave quickly quoth:

I used to be friends with the local brake shop owners and they'd do stuff like that for me for $10 or $20. I turned my own drums and rotors on their brake lathes for $5 a pop. Chances are good that your local independent brake shop will do it for fairly cheap, riveting and the right sort of lining. Check it out before you waste a day on a (possibly) bad fix.

-- Seen on a bumper sticker: ARM THE HOMELESS

Reply to
Larry Jaques

where abouts are you m8?

Reply to