Bayonet ID

On Mon, 09 Jun 2008 09:01:03 -0500, with neither quill nor qualm, Ignoramus25756 quickly quoth:

Let's pray that if you bought an actual Buck brand knife, it was a very old one. From what I've seen and heard, the new ones aren't even as good as the 10-for-a-dollar knives from China.

I think Searz sells 'em.

-- Besides the noble art of getting things done, there is a nobler art of leaving things undone. The wisdom of life consists in the elimination of nonessentials. -- Lin Yutang

Reply to
Larry Jaques

Unfortunately, your payers were not granted at the time of purchase, this is a new Buck brand made in the US, not an old one. Seems to be stainless. I think that it will work for me. I am not a very demanding user. I will try to sharpen it as well as I can with that diamond plated flat bar.

Reply to
Ignoramus25756

They are also very well insulated in case the wire fence is electrified.

Reply to
Jim Wilkins

Too bad they had to leave so much out. I really wanted to see sniper Tania Chernova crawl in from the river through a sewer pipe and then, still stinking, get a meal in a German mess hall.

Reply to
Jim Wilkins

Lets make that 3 things....the frog...is the bit of leather than holds the container..the sheath..to ones person. Variations on frogs can run into dozens of different types, materials, colors and so forth.

often times, military sub organizations had a need for something different from the herd for reasons both actual and ego.

for example...a marine group based on a ship, would have a difficult time with a full sized 17" bayonet aboard ship, so they were issued either cut down ones, or something utterly different

and so forth. accouterments and their reasons (or lack of reason) can be fascinating study.

want a simple start...check out a book on American civlil war accouterments....roflmao....

i thought it was a fascinating bit of utter insanity the evil flower uttered, and capturing it for posterity and putting it on display for a short time would be interesting.. it will wear out its entertainment value before long, then ill switch to something else.

Gunner

at yoyodyne they were all veterans of the psychic wars exiled from the eighth dimension where the winds of limbo roar"              mariposa rand mair theal

Reply to
Gunner Asch

while im a dauber as a welder, and a blacksmith as a machinist..military and geopolitical history are a long term interest of mine. shrug

one has to admire the russian peoples, if one knows their history. And one has to despise the ideology that enslaved them for many hundreds of years..and then things went down hill when communism took them under its wing...... at yoyodyne they were all veterans of the psychic wars exiled from the eighth dimension where the winds of limbo roar"              mariposa rand mair theal

Reply to
Gunner Asch

indeed.

Ratten Krieg

The war of the rats...the seige of stalingrad

at yoyodyne they were all veterans of the psychic wars exiled from the eighth dimension where the winds of limbo roar"              mariposa rand mair theal

Reply to
Gunner Asch

hit pawn shops for both early bucks and gerbers.

Gunner..who uses ceramic "crock sticks" for most of his sharpening chores

at yoyodyne they were all veterans of the psychic wars exiled from the eighth dimension where the winds of limbo roar"              mariposa rand mair theal

Reply to
Gunner Asch

Gunner, looks like your life was full bodied! Possible after you walked through Concentration Camps in 70-es you also served in russian (by the way - why not Soviet?) military, I suppose under some pretended name. Otherwise - from where did you get so much knowledge about so obscure matters?

You should understand that nobody was protected when dealing with such evil Communists! Gavin survived just be accident, possible Zhukov did not have hangovers mornings Gavin visited?

For this one I could only add that KGB troops were very bad marksmen! Missed a lot and coz they were firing to the Germans direction this was the actual reason why Soviet Army killed 80% of all German troops in WWII.

Ok, thanks, now I see! This is the source of your knowledge! Very respectable source indeed!

A.

Reply to
Zayonc

The blocking detachments (zagradotryad) existed, but in relatively small numbers, I believe that it was 3 batallions per front (front is an army group). So while it would not be true to say that all soldiers has to fight with blocking detachments behind their backs, they existed.

The 80% of German personnel killed on the Eastern front, is correct.

Reply to
Ignoramus25756

This one is nice! No revolvers in Soviet Army. May be this one was the one Iggy found the bayonete for?

Reply to
Zayonc

Found some information on blocking detachments.

From Order #227, it was 3-5 detachments per army, 200 personnel in each detachment. So it was 600-1,000 personnel nominal per nominal about 100,000 of an army.

Ignoramus25756

So I know and you do - not the Gunner. Blocking detachments existed in all armies for hundred years and are nothing new. In Gunner(s) mind those terrible Zagranotryads were tha main instrument used by Soviets to win the war.

Reply to
Zayonc

Germans also used blocking detachments.

Reply to
Ignoramus25756

I wonder how well a 9# battle rifle and a bayonet does piercing flexible body armor?

Wes

Reply to
Wes

Gee, never heard about the Nagant 1895 Gas Seal Revolver?

I've got one or three or so of them.

Wes

Wes

I believe that they phased out of Soviet army before WWII and replaced with TT pistols. I may be mistaken, however.

Reply to
Ignoramus25756

Thanks for explaining my bayonet comment :)

Wes

Reply to
Wes

You are absolutely correct - Nagan was never the service weapon of Soviet Army - it was phased out long time ago, and this was wrong thing to do.

Reply to
Zayonc

I missed the Staff meeting, but the Memos showed that Gunner Asch wrote on Mon, 09 Jun 2008 11:54:05 -0700 in rec.crafts.metalworking :

It has been said, that Democracy will bring wonderful things for the Russian people. They just need a strong leader to impose it.

Unfortunately for the Russians, experience has taught them not to get their hopes up. It's almost genetic by now. (In a similar vein, a friend wrote of getting their house built in Greece a few years ago. With over two thousand years of dealing with tax laws, tax avoidance was part and parcel of the planning. Real short form, if you get the county to sign off on the frame of the building, then that is the "final" price of the house, and taxes are based on that. Then you hire someone to finish the work... But they've changed the laws, again, and now everybody is looking for the edge to get around it,)

tschus pyotr

-- pyotr filipivich "I had just been through hell and must have looked like death warmed over walking into the saloon, because when I asked the bartender whether they served zombies he said, ?Sure, what'll you have?'" from I Hear America Swinging by Peter DeVries

Reply to
pyotr filipivich