Bayonet ID

It wasn't so obvious which side was which. If you knew a little about shaped charges the concave side made sense outward.

Reply to
Jim Wilkins

indeed.

I thought it was the Mexican M1899 Remington Arms Contract Bayonet, but the mounted swivel had me confused for a bit.

thats a fairly rare bayonet, at least in the western states btw..you may wish to find something else to use as a work knife.

Bayonets generally make shitty work knives, both because of their lack of edge holding ability..materials/heat treated for unbreakability (lowest bidder...sigh) and the blade design tends to be too fat for decent edge holding...unless you thin the edge way the f*ck back.

swedes are better knives, but then they tend to be a bit too thin. Ive seen a couple broken ones over the years.

Sell it and buy a half dozen new work knives

Gunner

at yoyodyne they were all veterans of the psychic wars exiled from the eighth dimension where the winds of limbo roar"              mariposa rand mair theal

Reply to
Gunner Asch

iggy..Keep in mind that even within a rifle series such as m95..there were often many differences in bayonet hardware.. m95s issued to the Kriegsmarine might be different in some spec..such as blade length or grip material, than one issued to the Medical Corps etc etc

Such differences keep bayonet collectors on their toes for a life time.

gunner

at yoyodyne they were all veterans of the psychic wars exiled from the eighth dimension where the winds of limbo roar"              mariposa rand mair theal

Reply to
Gunner Asch

that hook is called a 'blade breaker' for various reasons.

not to mention the frog......

,

Gunner

at yoyodyne they were all veterans of the psychic wars exiled from the eighth dimension where the winds of limbo roar"              mariposa rand mair theal

Reply to
Gunner Asch

in the dark...putting out a Claymore...leave the clacker unhooked, but string out the wire behind you as a way to find your way back to your hole.

unfold the legs, and hold the claymore against your chest. if it rocked..that was the Bad Side. If it fit the curve of your chest, it was the Good Side..make sure the Bad side stayed pointed away when you stabbed the legs into the ground.

It should be noted that the Good Side is nearly as deadly as the Bad Side, if placed too close to your hole when you squeeze the clacker.

Gunner

at yoyodyne they were all veterans of the psychic wars exiled from the eighth dimension where the winds of limbo roar"              mariposa rand mair theal

Reply to
Gunner Asch

So what was the real issue? Was Zhukov so Terrible, or people around to easy to be scared or may be Gavin was megalomaniac?

Reply to
Zayonc

the russian military had little regard for individual soldiers lives. one could be executed, purged etc for simply being in view when a superior woke up with a hangover. Unless you had what is called a "rabbi' in western terms...or were of equivelent rank or otherwise protected in some fashion...there was no safety for you.

Gavin was protected because he was both an equal and a representative of an ally govenment.

You are aware of why KGB troops trailed behind regular russian troops are you not? They usually were a heavy machine gun organization and their job was to shoot any Russian soldier or soldier(s) who didnt give their all in a charge, or even hesitated, let along started to fall back.

The movie Enemy at the Gates showed this rather well.

Gunner

at yoyodyne they were all veterans of the psychic wars exiled from the eighth dimension where the winds of limbo roar"              mariposa rand mair theal

Reply to
Gunner Asch

From the paperback edition, pages 67-8:

"Inside the perimeter of the newly arrived Soviet 64th Division... morale was particularly bad." ... "With the division on the verge of dissolution before ever seeing combat, its commanding officer acted decisively to curb the epidemic." ... "His harangue ended, the colonel moved purposely to the long lines of massed soldiers. A pistol in his right hand, he turned at the end of the first row and began counting in a loud voice: "One, two, three, four." As he reached the tenth man, he wheeled and shot him in the head. As the victim crumpled to the ground, the colonel picked up the count again: "One, two, three..." At ten, he shot another man dead and continued his dreadful monologue: "One, two..." No one bolted." ... "When the last bullet in the revolver thudded into a man's brain, the commander shoved the pistol back in its holster and walked away."

Reply to
Jim Wilkins

On Sun, 08 Jun 2008 20:56:42 -0700, with neither quill nor qualm, Gunner Asch quickly quoth:

That sure beats my purse theory all to hell, doesn't it?

Just hearing the name taught me something new about fighting. That's always good.

It'd surely break another hardened steel bayonet or thin sword off, wouldn't it? I wouldn't want to try to catch/parry a sword wth a slow, heavy, awkward rifle, though. Eek!

Reply to
Larry Jaques

X2 on the buy some real knives.

Bayonets. Too thick to cut with, too long to keep in control, too heavy to pack around all the time, and not strong enough to make a decent pry bar.

They work good for their intended purpose, though, which is to provide a last ditch pokey thing on the end of a shooty thing! :-)

Go to a commercial butchers supply outfit and buy a couple plastic handled meat ctting blades, of a shape and size that suits your needs.

Cheers Trevor Jones

Reply to
Trevor Jones

the term 'decimated' derives from the killing of every 10th man, both of your own for various reasons, usualy group punishment, and as a warning to prisoners etc.

Gunner

at yoyodyne they were all veterans of the psychic wars exiled from the eighth dimension where the winds of limbo roar"              mariposa rand mair theal

Reply to
Gunner Asch

On Sun, 08 Jun 2008 20:56:42 -0700, with neither quill nor qualm, Gunner Asch quickly quoth:

Uh, yeah. That, too. Make that 2 things I've learned already today. Hmm, _these_ guys call 'em sheaths:

What's this shit, mon? Quoting troll limericks now, are we? It's bad enough that you continually repost their crap by replying to them, giving them reason to come back.

Reply to
Larry Jaques

On Sun, 08 Jun 2008 23:57:06 -0700, with neither quill nor qualm, Gunner Asch quickly quoth:

Damn, Gunner, you're 3 for 3 today.

That was an EXCELLENT movie! (Just added to my Netflix queue.)

Reply to
Larry Jaques

OK... Good points on the blade etc. I just got myself a buck knife instead, that seems to actually be nicely made and has a more practical shape and dimensions.

Ignoramus25756

The frog is the leather piece that attaches the sheath to the belt.

Reply to
Jim Wilkins

A "sheath" is the item that actually covers the blade. The "frog" is the piece that allows you to attach the sheath to a belt or other object. Two separate parts.

If you look at newer bayonets the blade is also made to interlock with the sheath and form a wire cutter.

Reply to
Steve W.

That's what my AK bayonet does, which is very nifty. Also, this implies a certain hardness of the steel involved (hard enough to cut steel wire).

Reply to
Ignoramus25756

;x?MÍKÄ@ Åïý+??E¡toûáâE(e½ôà%?vp:?3ikÿ{³ÁKHä÷^òâP ÛÛÝæöîaC}??B?QÐ×À++{çG²¦¡¦ ã}cÞ×¢iç¬öýêCö??Þ%s\ÆK©:FïGÃÈ÷3H *=?(5v~âFH????Íksü£üïQuº?Q9äoOyYæ§ê??ëb?wAz¨?¥µæzÂÀÙ?J«×tÉpöþêLY/mXÈXÝ \{'a¨Åx?j?GvS8¯.?~?m?ü2?hð

Reply to
Jim Wilkins

The steel is hardened enough for it to shear the soft steel wire.

Reply to
Steve W.

I loved both the book as well as the movie, which I thought was surprisingly historically accurate.

Reply to
Ignoramus25756