Benchmaster Mill (again)

I bought a Benchmaster Mill with the fixed vertical head. No quill. Needs a lot of cleanup and a new paint job will make it nice. So off to the glass bead shop for openers.

I have read lots of older messages on this newsgroup and apparently I have a late model in that the feeds etc have wheels with handles. The motor is mounted vertically an a tilting base that keeps the belt tight. The pulleys are 4 groove. The motor is 1/2 HP. 120/220 volts.

The head uses the HaRDINGE type of collet. There was one collet with the mill. 3/8" 2M. Not sure what 2M means. For now I can stick with

3/8" shank cutters. Will need to locate a chuck with a #2 MT shank.

Also got the rotating vise with it but the bolts that secure the vice to the ways are junky. Would like to have the correct ones.

I can fix it all up and have a space in the shop for the mill.

Any comments would be appreciated. The pricing was fine/OK.

Thanks Bob AZ

Reply to
Bob AZ

Seems like Morse 2 taper collets with 3/8" drawbar. I have a Bridgeport cherrying head with such collets. These collets are always available on ebay separately.

Ignoramus31093

My horizontal Benchmaster is #2 Morse in the quill, most tool vendors sell #2 mill holders for up to 5/8" shanks, sometimes in sets. I think I got mine from MSC. I've seen pix of all kinds of different vertical heads mounted on Benchmasters. The original design doesn't offer much that I can't do with my horizontal. I posted some pix of their brochure in the drop box sometime in the mid '90's, take a look when you can.

David

Reply to
David R. Birch