Bridgeport DRO advice needed

I want to put a DRO on an old mill here and want to do it as cheap as possible...duhh! I only need 2 axis and don't care what color it is. I mostly just want to drill holes close to where they are suposed to be. Are the rack and pinion scales any good or a headache to come? Anybody want to part with a used set-up? I'v looked at ebay and they are crazy!

Reply to
Tom Gardner

Mitutoyo offers 2 different DRO's (under $1000) for 2 axis mill applications. see

I have used a Digimatic on my BP for 5 years without a glitch. Best thing I ever did to improve mill usability.

Randy

Reply to
Randal O'Brian

Almost any new system is going to cost some hundreds of dollars. One lower-end type might be a system made by an English company which uses a stainless wire on a spring-loaded drum (sort of like a tape-measure). They claim high accuracy and repeatability etc. I've never seen one, but the ubiquitous "friend of a friend" bought one a couple of years ago, and was sufficiently happy with it to buy another system a few months ago. Their web site is

Good luck

Roger

Tom Gardner wrote:

Reply to
Roger Head

Try

I got the 3 axis CBX system (Shooting Star) from Hi Quality Tools on sale for $649. The Shooting Star Company sells 2 axis for $599 but you may find it on sale someplace. It's a rack & pinion system, easy to mount and I *love* it. Hope this helps. Ken.

Reply to
Anonymous

$162UK Pounds for the Micro 3. = 285.931 USD PER AXIS. Hardy seems like a very good deal when a Shooting Star DRO with remote head is $599USD and the head combines both axis in a safe location away from the table.

Gunner

'If you own a gun and have a swimming pool in the yard, the swimming pool is almost 100 times more likely to kill a child than the gun is.'" Steven Levitt, UOC prof.

Reply to
Gunner