Burgmaster 0B-Wobbly downfeed problem

Greetings:

Anybody out there done any work on a Burgmaster 0B? I just picked one up at a sale for cheap enough that I was willing to take a risk. The reason it's a risk? The downfeed wobbles.

The whole turret head assembly feeds up and down on a single round shaft that slides through an upper assembly that has the downfeed quill and gear. The turret assembly is wobbling side-to-side because the main up-and-down feed shaft has become loose in the upper assembly, and the shaft is rotating slightly in the grip of the upper assembly.

Normally, there'd be a keyway or spline on the shaft, and it'd be a simple fix. This being a Burgmaster, *nothing* is simple. There isn't a keyway. Neither is there a bearing flat on the side of the shaft. Or any other obvious method of preventing the round shaft from rotating. I've looked for setscrews, or the like, but there aren't even any holes anywhere near that shaft. The only thing I can think of is that somehow the face of the rack gear teeth bear against the width of the rack and stabilize it that way, but that's just nuts.

I found the manual online, and read that, but no help. The thing I noticed was all the specialized tools and jigs required to really rip the thing apart. This made me think it was better to ask here before I started trying to wing it.

So...anybody worked on a Burgmaster 0B? How on earth does it keep that main feed shaft from rotating?

Thanks, Brian.

Reply to
Alberic

Where did you find the manual? I also need one.

Gunner, pondering on your problem

Political Correctness is a doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical liberal minority, and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end.

Reply to
Gunner Asch

Gunner:

The manual can be found here

are parts drawings, and the last link on the right has a PDF of the whole manual. All 15 pages of it. The quality of the drawings isn't great, but there it is.

So, does your 0B wobble? Any clue why not?

Regards, Brian.

Reply to
Alberic

I've worked on a Burgmaster but never deep enough to help you. I do thank you for the manual link though.

Wes

Reply to
Wes

I too have a small Burgmaster, great machine.

If you look on the back of the fixed part of the turret you should find a projection. On this should be a fork, and on each prong a ball race. The parts are sized so that the two ball races run along the inside surfaces of the columns, and this prevents the turret from rotating around it's column. If the bits are missing they should be easy enough to make. Look on the column side view parts drawing and it is shown mounted in line with the the long bolt passing through the centre of the head.

Hope this helps,

Dave.

Reply to
davethebeard2001